Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 Galaxie - currently 352 with Automatic. I'm looking at converting to a 351Cleveland. I would like to also convert to a 4 or 5 speed. Any thoughts on what transmission to use? I've done a bunch or reading on the posts discussing transmission conversions but would like input on my specific application.

The Galaxie will be my everyday driver. I hope to have the 351 putting out 350+ hp when finished. The car is a 2 door ht with auto shifter on the column.

So any help on the folloing would be greatly appreciated.
1. What transmission do you sugges
2. What parts do I need to scrounge
3. Are there any replacement parts from other cars that can work for this application?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
why not just stay with the FE your swapp will be alot easier and for the horse power you want it will be very easy to obtain

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of different reasons for me to look at the Cleveland - many of which just don't make any practical sense!

To broaden the thread let's assume two routes - small block and FE. Same questions apply as before.
1. What transmission do you sugges
2. What parts do I need to scrounge
3. Are there any replacement parts from other cars that can work for this application?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
158 Posts
1. toploader either small input/output or big
2. pedal assy, z-bar assy, bell housing, flywheel and what ever clutch setup you choose. and shifter of course.

3. i'm not sure how hard it is to find 66/67 cars with 4- speeds are to find. but if all else fails just fabricate what you need

i found a doner car and converted my 63 it was pretty easy, but so you know ahead of time, 4 speed cars and automatic cars have diffrent bodies so you will have to cut the hole in the proper place for you swap. is your car a column of floor shift cruisematic?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car is a column shift auto - so some rework will be required.

Thanks for the list of parts. Can I follow up with another question?

Does the pedal assy, z-bar assy bellhousing and flywheel all have to come from a 66? Does it matter what transmission I pick (year and out of who knows what model) as to what bellhousing and flywheel?

I like the donor car idea, but don't have the room to park it right now. I'm trying to nail down what year parts I need to find so I can put the word out on the junk yard market to find the parts.

Does the toploader big/small input/output refer to big block vs small block?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
201 Posts
jhovis, I applaud you for looking to make your Galaxie a fun car. Nothing like a manual transmission to take the boring out of driving, IMHO. I have done it on 2 Galaxies and enjoy the results immensely.

I am a big admirer of the 351C, and have always thought the dumb b*stard at Ford who ordered its demise should be boiled alive in a tar pit, especially since they eventually derived the totally lame*ss 351M from the design, managing once again to completely screw things up, performance-wise. However, much as I love the 351C, I prefer to see them in their native habitat... early '70's Mustangs, Torinos, Cyclones, Cougars, etc.

Since a properly built 352/390/428 is such a powerhouse, why not stick with the historically correct and awesomely attractive original FE layout that will totally kick bowtie butt? The simplest, most straightforward swap you can make is to use an FE motor, a Galaxie toploader, and '65-'68 Galaxie pedals, clutch linkage, z-bar, with a C5AA (car! not C5TA truck!) bellhousing with the correct clutch release fork. You will also need the Galaxie FE manual transmission cross member (a 3spd crossmember is just fine). You can find everything but the crossmember in a small block or 6 cylinder Galaxie. The cross member can be fairly easily fabricated.

A small hole will need to be cut in the existing transmission hump to which you will bolt the shifter hump. Crites supplies a nice '64 shifter hump that works well with the '65-68 trans hump.

You can use either a Hurst or factory Ford shifter. For racing, the Hurst can't be beat. For mostly street driving, the Ford is great as the handle is nicely mated to the seat and driver position, whereas the Hurst forces you to lean forward with every shift... and that gets old fast for daily driving.

Regarding the transmission, a toploader is easily the strongest 4spd ever made, and stronger than nearly all factory 5 spds. While the OD gear in the 5 spd is good for highway driving, consider sticking with the 3.00:1 rear end ratio you currently have. With P235-75R15 tires, you will achieve the rough equivelant of the OD gear and a 3.5: ratio. Unless you intend to do a lot of racing, this makes sense in the era of costly gasoline.

jhovis, let me also caution you about listening to the advice of many "machininsts/mechanics/hotrodders." Many know next to nothing about the FE motor and cover up their lack of familiarity with disdain and insults. IT IS ONE OF THE MOST ACCOMPLISHED ENGINES IN AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY, AND IS AN EXCELLENT ENGINE FOR ALL PURPOSES EXCEPT LOW EPA EMISSIONS. I repeat, do not listen to BrandX afficiandos or other know-nothings in making your decision. Talk to a well-versed FE machinist... you'll be glad you did!

Enjoy the FE, enjoy the toploader, increase the value of your Galaxie! Keep us posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts