Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Automatic transmission conversion. Column shift vs. Floor shift?

22K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Jetfixr320 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm in the process of swapping out the 200 CI six and 4 speed manual transmission in my '63 two door Falcon for a 302 with an automatic transmission. I picked up a '79 F150 truck as the donor vehicle. When I bought the F150, I was told it had a C4 auto transmission, but it appears to be a C6.

I'm looking to either swap my existing steering column for something with a column shifter, or go with a floor shifter. Asthetically, I don't really have a preference (maybe leaning a little towards the column, for period correctness), so I figure I may as well go with the path of least resistance. The only real consideration for me is that I have bucket seats with the sweet chrome toaster center console, which I'd really like to keep.

So what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Has anyone done an automatic floor shifter with a C6 trans? Can it be mounted far enough forward to keep the center console? Any issues with the tunnel?

If you think a column shifter would be better, is there something that's a pretty straight forward steering column swap that's easier to find than a Falcon column? Any special considerations for the C6 setup?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
The only straight forward column shifter that fit's the Falcon that year is another Falcon auto column shifter, and all of them are ford-o-matic 2 speeds I think.

The C-6 will NOT FIT under your tranny hump without a lot of modification unless you drop it down deep into the engine bay I think...

If I were you I'd keep the Dagenheim 4 speed and 200 CI engine.... It's a rare combo.

#4 ·
Look for 60-65 Falcon/Comet auto trans column. Some of them even had a fancy lighted gear indicator. Finding a column shift C4 should be easy. The floor shift input lever on the trans sticks straight up and the column shift input points down.
Btw if you find a FM2 column FalconParts sells the right C4 shift detent to make it right.
Good luck

Joe

#12 ·
64 falcon was the last year for the ford-o-matic 2 sp ,65 was the first year falcon came with the C/4 , I had an inline 6 with the c/4 and the column was set for c/4. It had one of the smallest housings for the inline 6 . I pulled all of it out and replace with a 67 289 and C/4 from a full size ford station wagon. At the same time i switched the tail shaft housings so i could keep the tail shaft housing that fit the falcon trany mount. I sold that car to a friend 10 years ago and it's still on the road . 64 and 65 falcon do not have the rag joint , it came in 66 or 67 , not sure which year but i think 66 .

#13 ·
Not to mention the C6 takes more power to run than a C4 so you'll be giving up some power. At least that's my understanding so I could be wrong. If you use a later model valve body like I did you'll also get the 1-2-D shift pattern! :D

John

#14 ·
Doesn't the C6 have a front and rear pump?
Instead of the "green dot" valve body, I'm running a valve body out of a '70 Maverick. I've got the 1-2-D shifting but I can also start and hold it in second gear.

#15 ·
You have the pedals go with a 5sp. My wife doesn't like to shift gears either and I think that is a good thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.