Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was in my local paper this morning. A local man took his 1970 Avanti II to the salt flats and took the thing to 202mph. The only specs were the HP which claimed it was at 670HP. Those Avant's are real sleepers huh?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its white with the number 455 on the doors. The 45 is large and the last 5 is small. Silver aerodynamic hubcaps. The guy is from LaPorte IN.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Dave Bloomberg,one of the engineers at the aerospace company I used to work for has a 1963 Avanti he bought new. He's been racing it at El Mirage dry lake and Bonneville for quite a few years. Not sure if he hit 200MPH yet but it did run 198+ back in 2002.The car is a gold color and has the number 1963 on the sides.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thats the thing; they are in fact UGLY, but they are indeed performance cars. I remember my dad telling about when Avanti came to promote thier cars. They let people come to a local circle track and do a few laps. Now thats the way to tap the performance market! Yet, they just never really get the recognition. Like some silent monster.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Ugly? We must not be looking at the same car.

I've always thought the Avanti was beautiful! There were two versions, the original steel body version by Studebaker, then the later model, Avanti II, made in Canada(?) which was made out of fiberglass. I think it had Corvette running gear.

I think it was saved by AMC, then AMC when down the tubes and it was then sold as a specialty low production vehicle. They were actually sold up until 1991 or 1992.

Oops! seems I was wrong...the car is actually still being made.

It wasn't sold to AMC.

And it was never manufactured in Canada.

http://www.avantimotors.com/hisavanti.htm

The latest models run Ford power trains (modular motors V-6, 4.6 and an SUV with the 5.4 triton). Current production is in Villa Rica, Georgia

In 1961, Studebaker Corporation was the fourth largest automobile manufacturer in the United States. Its new president Sherwood Egbert conceived the idea of introducing a new car to enhance its model offerings and highlight the advanced thinking the automotive division was capable of. To execute the design of the new automobile, he retained world-renowned industrial designer Raymond Loewy. Loewy, with his design team of John Ebstein, Robert Andrews, and Tom Kellogg conceived and executed the design of the new car in less than 60 days. A clay model of the car was delivered to South Bend, Indiana and was approved for production. On April 26, 1962, a new automotive star was introduced to the public. The 1963 Studebaker Avanti was an instant hit with the public and automotive press. Studebaker only built the Avanti for two model years (1963 & 1964) and ceased automotive production in the U.S. on December 9, 1963. Studebaker transferred its automotive production to Canada and announced the Avanti would no longer be built. (Contrary to a popular myth, the Studebaker Avanti was never built in Canada.)

Two successful Studebaker dealers in South Bend, Indiana, Nathan Altman (Nate) and Leo Newman, refused to let the Avanti die. Early in 1964, Mr. Altman approached Studebaker about purchasing the rights, tooling, machinery, equipment, etc. necessary to build the Avanti. A deal was negotiated and ownership of the Avanti was transferred early in 1964.

The new owners established the Avanti Motor Corporation and began handcrafting their version of this exciting automobile. The new model was called the Avanti II. The new Avanti differed from its predecessor in that the customer would dictate the exterior and interior automotive colors and trimmings making each one a custom automobile. The Avanti II was in continuous production from 1965 to 1982 when the company was sold to Mr. Stephen Blake.

Upon taking control of the company, Blake embarked on making changes at Avanti. One of the first items on his list of things to do was to drop the "II" designation and return the car to its original roots. Next on Blake's list was to introduce a special model to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of the Avanti's introduction. The 1983 20th Anniversary Model was introduced at the Chicago Auto Show. This all black, no chrome, euro-tech look Avanti was a radical departure from previous editions. The Anniversary car was followed by a special limited run of touring coupe editions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 11/1/06 9:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Next thing...you'll say escargot is nasty too? Some people just don't have good taste... - but I I won't hold that against you, there way too many other reasons.

Granted, in someways it does look like the elder brother to a Pacer or Gremlin. But when equipped with the supercharged R4 engine (the originals), ...it makes up for all the "ugly". As popular as they were and still are, somebody likes them!

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
The mustang engine in the avanti means it has a lot of performance parts.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yup, sorry to say man but that's ugly! Looks like they took a '62 Lincoln, shrunk it down to a compact 2-door, and tried to streamline it a bit... doesn't really do it for me.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Actually the 289 in the avanti is studibakers own design, not a ford. Its pretty hard to find parts for them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
it looks like they're cutting mustangs up and rebuliding them as stude's.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts