Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some estimations so i can plan what im gonna do to my 66 coupe next...

average price to: (note: i need these prices to be what a mechanic would charge me)

rebuild 289hipo motor
t5 swap - i would buy the tranny and thats it, i have a C4 right now

thanks alot i greatly appreciate it cuz im new to this forum!

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
rebuilding engines and the like depends on who pulls it and puts it back in, mods of any kind, who pays what parts, and how much of the cleaning, etc you plan on doing. Trans=$1750-$3000, engine=$1200-$6000 plus extras=$1000. Just rough numbers. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
New pistons/rings, cam,lifters, valve springs. valve job, turn crank, new bearings(cam,rod,main). Machine work on block all= probably $1500.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
$1500 is about right for a stock engine rebuild, and expect that for the tranny rebuild.

A T-5 swap would cost you about 2-3000 if you did it yourself, probably 6 or 7 if a shop does it.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Several big things, clean the parts as much as possible before taking them to the shop. Oven cleaner and a car wash work good. Becareful with the oven cleaner, it can be nasty stuff. Dissasemble as much of the engine as you can, but make sure the main caps and rods are marked where they go to. The more you tear it apart and clean up, the more money you'll save. Machine shops hate to work with dirty parts and this can go a long way to how they treat you and your parts. Listen to what they recommend to you and just look around at the shop for a gut feeling on the quality of work done there. Get a price quote on paper before you leave anything there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts