Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to rebuild my rear in my '71 Torino. I have a 351c-2v with a C4 and a 9" open dif. with a 2.73 gear, so I'll assume the axels are 28 spline (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case I'll need to know the length of the axels so I can order new 31 splnes. The problem is every site that shows axel sizes shows 2 sizes for '70-'71 Torinos. Does anyone out there know what I need. All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If yor car is a factory 2V 351, then its got 28 spline axles.

The 31 spline axles were for 4V headed Clevelands, 429's, and Drag Pack equipped cars. I think 4 speeds were also recipients of the larger units when they were behind 351C's.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
My 351c 4v has a toploader, but it has the 28 axles, (i would also like to know the length, one of mine is messed up a bit on the wheel bearing part)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just happen to have mine apart, when I get home this evening I'll measure it.

my combo came out of a '72 Gran Torino

351C 4V, C6, 9" 28 spline w/3.25 gearing open diff.

I have a guy getting me a 3rd member with a trac loc and 3.50 gears. There are so many variables with the 9", it's hard to tell what you have until you take it apart. I'll measure mine and let you know.

````````````````````````````````````````````
1956 F-100
'72 Torino front clip
351C + .030, KB hypers, RV cam, 4V heads
Edelebrock Performer, Holley 750 vac., MSD 6A, Mallory dist., MSD blaster coil, 1.75" headers, 2.5 duals, Flowmaster 2 chamber flowmasters,
C6, 2400-2600 stall, B&M shift kit
all I need is my posi unit and I'm on the run.

·
Registered
596 Posts
O.K. they are different lengths. the leftside is 29.5" and the rightside is 32".

This is measuring from the end of the splines to the back of the lug bolt plate, if you want it from the front of the plate add about 7/16".

Hope this helps

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks a lot guys. At least I have a start. I was going to go the whole "NEW" route anyway. I'm looking at getting a Powertrax and 3.70 gears. Is anyone going to Columbus this weekend? The Mid Ohio Ford swap is this weekend. 11 acres, 4 buildings of Ford, Ford, Ford!! I'm deffinatly checking it out.
Thanks again guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts