Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the axle shafts (from a fox body Mustang, 79-93 with a 7.5" or 8.8" rear) will fit a 1965 Mustang? I was told that the 65' had a 7.5" rear. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Your 65 should have an 8 inch. the 7.5 and 8.8 rearends are very different. they have c-clips and other things that are a mystery to me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the car doesnt belong to me. I wish it did, I was asking for someone else. I thought that a 65' may have had a 8" rear, but wasnt really sure....Thanks a bunch for the info

·
Registered
739 Posts
Two diametrically opposite axles. Yes, 99% of the 65s had 8" removable carrier rears in them. 8" axles are retained via pressed on bearings and bearing retainers. The late model has an integral carrier rear (like the chebby 12-bolt) with the axles retained via an inboard c-clip at the very end of the axle (cheaper to manufacture). If an axle breaks on a c-clip version, the axle is no longer retained and that is bad. Race organizations require c-clip eliminators vor this reason.
If an axle breaks on an 8" or 9" the outboard bearing and retainer keeps the axle from going anywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts