Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to pull the axle shafts out of my 9'' so that i can fix the leaky 3rd member. i have the 4 bolts off already and i have spent 45 minutes beating the **** out of the plate that the lug studs go through. this has done nothing for me though. the damn thing just wont budge. any tips or better ways to do this? if the back of the drum wasnt in my way i could get a solid hit with my rubber malet and it would probably come right out. but right now i cant really get it with a good angle.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this might sound stupid. but do i really need to stand 10 feet back? the axle is out of the car on stands so i can only back up about 3 feet and still keep my leg on the shock mount to keep it in place

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Push out one of the axle retaining studs and use a long narrow punch or hunk of rod from behind. Or a slide hammer. Or the chain whipping method. Or bolt an old rim to it and that gives you the room to beat onm it with a BFH. It'll eventually come out.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I also tried the chain method but it didn't work for me. I ended up using a pulley puller. Put threaded plate behind hole in axle flange and pressure/center bolt thru both. Applied pressure against backing plate then wacked opposit side of flange with hammer and axle came loose

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea the 3 feet of chain didnt do **** haha. i guess tomorrow i will go buy a slide hammer. thanks for the help guys

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
10 feet gives more chain swinging, giving you more torque on the hammer when it slaps tight. 3 feet and you better be as tough as me to got that amount of torque to hit it.
i sure it will work...when i tryied i only had a 5ft chain and could not
enuff snap on chain to move axle....:bicker:
on other side it practicly fell out..

i made due with what was available at the time...:D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
**** i hope the other side falls out. this is ridiculous. i just want to fix a damn leak. so i can throw it back under the car

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i figured that would destroy it. if you dont think it will them i will try it.

also what do you guys think about putting on a old drum backwards. tighting the lug nuts on. then slamming the **** out of that with the hammer.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
i figured that would destroy it. if you dont think it will them i will try it.

also what do you guys think about putting on a old drum backwards. tighting the lug nuts on. then slamming the **** out of that with the hammer.
thats how I did it till , the slide puller

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok just to confirm. ALL that needs to be removed to get the axle shaft out is the 4 bolts right? nothing else?

·
Registered
50 Posts
They can be stubborn but this works for me every time. Take the brake drum and slide it over the axle studs backwards. Put one lug nut on each of the axle studs. Put the beveled side of the nut facing away from the axle flange. Use the brake drum as a slide hammer. Should pop it right out.
Brett

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Make sure the retaining plate is free. I use a thin flat bar to loosen it up, then tap it with a hammer. Sometimes that's all it takes to free the bearing. I used the chain method on one for one with no avail, light taps with a bit hammer on the axle pop it right out. Sometimes a little force in the right spots works better than big in the wrong area.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.