Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just got back from a bit of a road trip. Went away for a couple days to a buddy's cabin and took the car for a rip.

Here are the changes from last year:

Randalls power rack and pinion (with his pump)
Custom FPA headers
Hydraulic clutch
TKO600 w/ .64 overdrive
Custom driveshaft
Swapped out the 4.11 locker and replaced it with a 3.5 strange tru trac diff
Holley 4150 750cfm Street HP with mechanical secondaries
Complete custom stereo in trunk with cd/mp3 player in the glove box

Comments/Thoughts

The trip was just over 100 miles long, so not encredibly long but enough to get a good feel for all the changes.

Headers

Great fit, and seems to breath even better, now have 1-3/4" primaries.. car is noticeably louder at any given rpm. Bottom end power seems a little better.

Steering

Had a bit of an issue with the steering intermediate shaft running into one of the header tubes, so I ended up lowering the rack about 1/4" to clear the steering shaft. To my surprise I didn't notice any bump steer issues after lowering the rack. The front end alignment still needs some tweaking, but this is my fault. When I took the car into the alignment shop I had no driveshaft in the car so he couldn't take it for a test drive.. Will be going back shortly. I think the steering shaft might still be hitting the header at full lock to lock?? Making some odd noises? Seems to have good feel at all speeds. Can't really give a 100% review on it yet because the front end isn't quite right yet...

Hydraulic clutch

This was a real PITA to get to work. I copied the jmc kit exactly and for w/e reason with my setup I couldn't get enough travel out of the slave to fully disengage the clutch. I was getting about 1-1/8" travel at best. I swapped out the CNC slave for a replacement slave with a 3/4" bore to match the master and am now getting about 1-1/2" of travel. To my surprise this wasn't enough either. I had to pre load the t/o bearing about 1/4" of inch to get it to work. This is how I've been driving it lately but have since got a bigger 7/8" master that will hopefully solve my problems. It looks like I need about 1-3/4" to fully disengage the clutch and give me some freeplay in the bearing. Because of the way the clutch is now it seems to be slipping...

Tranny

This has got to be the biggest and most noticeable change. Before I had a 4speed close ratio toploader with 4.11 gears. I couldn't take it anywhere reved too high! I did intend to race the car longer thus the reason for this setup, but after breaking many parts and tossing the racing idea I soon realized that this current gear ratio setup was not a good one for the street. The 5 speed not only shifts wayshorter, smoother and crisper and the gear ratios seem to fit the motor perfectly. In 5th gear at 2000rpm I'm doing 70mph... Mileage wise, I went from about 4mpg to 15 on that trip.. I'd still like to bring that up a little bit but it's a great starting point!

Custom driveshaft

Being that I put in the tko I had to shorten my existing driveshaft. Well I had two options to either shorten the old or get a new one made up. I ended up having one made so that if I ever decide to go back to stock I can just grab the old one.. also with the new driveshaft it's 3" tube with spicer 1350 joints, something I probably should have had when I was racing lol

Strange Tru Trac

After that racing thing I decided that the locker had to go, it wasn't very practicle with manual steering and all around street use so I swapped it out for a worm gear driven strange tru trac. I told the guy at strange that it was for a street car that I want to handle really well and still be able to make straight line use out of the motor. He said this worm gear setup is the strongest and there's no clutches to wear out... only downfall is that they are a little noiser that the averarge posi unit. The car is quite load anyways and so I thought this was a no brainer. It is a little noisy but I'm not sure if its the gear setup or the posi.. more miles will determine possibly.

Gear ratio

Obviously the 4.11's wern't very practicle for any type of highway driving so I put in some richmond 3.5's. Matched with the tko600 I think it's like coming off the line with 4.05's.. so it's quite comparable. Top end is quite insane with the 3.5's and .64 overdrive. I got the car up to 100mph cruisin at about 3000rpm!!

Holley 4150 street hp

I used to run a 750 that was re worked and bench flowed to flow 850 and while at full throttle it took it all with no bogging, however around town it would soak the rings, causing sealing issues..
With the 750 it seems to be a better balance but I still think it may be a tad rich... This is where I'm hoping to get some more mileage... I know that you make more power generally when the motor is towards the lean side but I also know that its far safer to run a little rich... I think I'll start going jetting down one step at a time. I had some o2 bungs welded into both exhaust collectors, specifically for getting a/f ratios.

Stereo

I've always loved listening to good music a little on the loud side, and now with the 5speed and lower operating rpms I can actually appreciate the sound quality that the system puts out..

Future plans

Well I was going to get some 18's and get a coil over suspension but I think I've spent way too much on the car lately and am going to drive the car as much as I can and get some use out of it.. something I haven't done so well in the last few years. I will be swapping out the master for the bigger one here soon and then maybe play with the jetting a bit... other than that its good to go. Hopefully another road trip is in store shortly

Thanks and hope you liked the reviews
Tom

·
Subscriber
9 Posts
Awesome car man. I just bought a 68 fastback to restore as street/touring and occasional track car. I appreciated your reviews, they helped answer some of my questions. I have a few more though. Do you have anymore pics of the car? How did you get the front so low, it sits perfect!

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Sounds like some neat modifications. I'm looking to do a few similar things to make my mach 1 more fun to drive, and also able to take to the freeway for a few trips here and there. I don't know if I would go 18's though. I've lost too many tires to pot holes and road debris. When my wife's cobra has a 17 go out its no big deal. When the lightning has an 18 go out then its some big bucks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the compliments...

Well its been a while since I've been on here..
Another problem with my car... what else is new??? I tell ya.. I've had such back luck with this motor is driving me nuts!!
This time was driving along (and the whole summer I had been driving the car it was running crappy, not starting like it usually does) and the car all of a sudden stalled.. Tried to re start it and nothing...
Trailered it home and after a couple days of research found that it sheared half of the distributor gear off?? Not exactly sure why, but now I've got some debris to deal with. I couldn't handle the frustration anymore so I took the car off the road till who knows when now...
To be safe I'm going to pull the whole motor and have everything checked and re checked and then maybe there will be some hope for next year lol... I just can't believe the luck I've been having with this thing..

So I never got to the rims, brakes, and suspension that I had planned for this year... Not sure when that will happen now as I sold my daily driver and bought myself a new car, and have a nice honkin car payment.

As far as the stance questions go I've actually raised the front up by a couple inches.. I loved the stance myself but after cutting a tire up I realized that you can't have both the looks and the functionality..When I do get rims I think I'll go foose nitrous thrust 17's....

Anyways, thats my rant for the day...

·
Subscriber
9 Posts
are your fender lips rolled? If not, maybe you could roll them in and have the clearance to lower the front back down

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, they are rolled, I think the chrome molding limits to how much you can roll them tho, because of the mounting screws. So I rolled them as much I could but it still wasn't enough... Even with it sitting a little higher in the front the stance still works for me.

I have bigger problems to worry about the stance for now tho lol

·
Subscriber
9 Posts
Your sig pic has given me an inspiration for the fastback I bought last week. It's a 68 6cyl auto with no rust. I'm gonna start stripping it down next week. I'm thinking crate 428, tko600, wimbledon white with a little pearl, blk int, and a stance just like yours. It's so nice to see a badass fastback instead of another shelby or eleanor clone.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey Tom,
Man sorry to hear about your luck with the engine. Let me know if I can help in any way. I know first hand how bad that sucks. Nothing is worse then going down the highway and the car dying on you then having to trailer it home. Oh and remember you can have the stance IF the wheels have the correct backspacing/offset. Mine sit very low and NEVER rubs. I know we have talked about this before. Let me know if I can help. Talk to you later.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input... but its a matched steel gear on a hydraulic flat tappet cam... When I do get around the pulling the motor I'll find out what happened exactly.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Very nice fastback. I too will be installing a hydraulic clutch. I have not decided if I'm going with the hydraulic throwout bearing or fabricating a push type slave cylinder setup. I know you expressed some regrets about yours in a previous post. Can you take some pics and tell us what might work better or if you were to do it all over again, how would you do it this time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: valleyfirearms on 11/26/06 3:50pm ]</font>

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't really have any regrets for going with the hydraulic clutch and slave... but it just was super frustrating that it didn't work and thats what everyone else was using. After I got over that and got it to work half ass... was better. I still need to swap out the master for a bigger one to give me a little more travel at the slave. But even with the smaller master its really nice to use..
I will definitely take some pics when I put it back up on the hoist and pull the 393 out to replace it with the 408 Keith Craft motor...

Tom

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks,
I pieced together the parts from MacKenzie's Racing Products

1 - 15 of 15 Posts