Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I took out my 66 out for the first drive after winter storage and I'm at my Witts end ! I put the car in storage for the winter running like a champ, now the idle is a little rough and it backfires when I put my foot into it. I changed the cap and rotor thinking maybe it was cracked over the winter somehow ....no difference.

Last year I put on a new Edelbrock 650 thunder series carb , plugs might have 10,000 miles on them, nothing has changed from last year .

I'm thinking maybe some new plugs and wires ?

any input will be appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Did you put any fuel conditioner like Sta-Bil in the tank? How about some HEET? I'm originally from Minnesota, and know what cold weather can do to gas tanks/fuel lines/fuel filters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Give the carb a good cleaning. Bet some of the gas might of gelled up over storage, it can be a pain. I usually run a tank of with a stabil mix before putting my car away for the winter. Usually runs great after the winter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like partially clogged jets causing your engine to run lean. I used to get a lot people with the same problem when I was a motorcycle/jet ski mechanic. Always came back at the beginning of the season with the problems you describe and almost always were due to bad gas, clogged jets, etc. ALWAYS use a fuel stabilizer if you even think you won't drive/use your fuel within 30 days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts