Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor is beginning to make a very audible, high pitched, grinding/whining sound. When I put my tranny in, long story short, flywheel screwed up a little, slightly bad balance at certain RPMs, know it needs to be fixed. Ok, the worst of the vibrating rpms was around 1300, and the car started out making noise in the 1000-1300 range. Doesn't do it when accelerating, just when cruising, slowing down, or revving. Now it does it more often, and many different rpms. Question is, (finally) is the noise being caused by bad main bearings because of the bad balance? And also, can I replace the bearings without having to rebuild the motor now? (No $$$). Thanks

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It sounds to me more like maybe something in the transmission,flywheel,starter sort of area.Check to make sure the vibrations haven,t loosened something.It also could be an accesory on the front of the motor,power steering,waterpump,alternator.You could take off all the belts and start it up and see if the noise goes away.Main bearing noise is more like a deep knocking sound in the engine,its usually a lot worse when you first start it up cold until the oil pressure comes up.I just noticed on your sig that you have a manual trans.I would definetely try to find what is making this noise in case its something to do with the clutch or pressure plate,in general its not a good idea to keep driving it as it sounds to me like something is ready to fly apart.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts