Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2000 mustang, there is a noticable grind when applying the brakes so I pulled the front wheels and noticed that one the passenger side, I can not turn the rotor freely by hand. I can only turn it if the wheel/tire is on and even then it's still hard to turn. The brakes looked fine and the driver side rotor turns just fine without the tire on.

The grinding only happens while braking and turning the wheel sharply while driving. Shouldn't I be able to turn the rotor by hand easily? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
It maybe a brake caliper. Remove and inspect. If the rotor is still tight with brakes off check the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that too but the car doesn't pull to either side while braking...

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You have to do work to move forward.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I cant seem to get the bottom caliper bolt out. I seem to be doing a lot of turning but not getting anywhere. Does it take quit a bit of ratchet turns to get the bolt out? It seems like the top one was going to be much easier.
I never had trouble getting the rotors off of my '82 or '88 mustangs....

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I cant seem to get the bottom caliper bolt out. I seem to be doing a lot of turning but not getting anywhere. Does it take quit a bit of ratchet turns to get the bolt out? It seems like the top one was going to be much easier.
I never had trouble getting the calipers off of my '82 or '88 mustangs....

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Pull on push out on the bolt while turning it. The rubber O ring or bushing is holding it.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
when tuning left , you get the noise ? wheel side of rotor might look good , what about the caliper side ?

might have a double header , both wheel and caliper are bad . also could be the flex hose . that wopuld be a home run for needing all three repaired

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Makes noise mainly turning right. I'll have to mess with it again or just take it to a freaking shop and be done with it.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Mine was similar, noticed it more in a RH turn. Rotor wouldn't turn freely. Bearing was trying to seize. Have to replace the entire hub. I believe you can get a bearing for it, but why? The price difference isn't that much. Mine was $39 for the bearing and $45 for the whole hub. Easy to do BUT you'll need a 36mm socket to get the nut off, and something that will torque it to about 258 lb-ft. Mine was easy as I already had those tools.

After replacing one side, I realized that now I could hear the "roar" in the other side, so I did that one too. Quiet as a church mouse now :)

Once the caliper is loose, see if it slides off of the rotor freely. If it doesn't, the caliper may be sticking or hose could be collapsing...or could be junk in the line-plugging it up. I did not do it on my '04 but on my Lightning I flushed the fluid out. Boy. That stuff was nasty and it's only got 150,000 miles on it, and it was done at 50,000. After flushing it out, it stops a LOT better!

Mustang has 275,000 on it and I don't think it's ever been done. Might tackle it this week. Easy to do if you have an evacuator. Evacuators are cheap. Mine is pneumatic and cost $85. Mityvac MV7300, one of the best tool investments I've ever made. No more getting nasty when changing trans fluid either. Put the evac hose in the dipstick tube, suck it out. Remove drain bolt on converter, drain, then refill. Very little mess. Same for engine oil, if the tube fits in the dipstick tube. Does not fit on my 3.9 V6. Actually the small tube goes all the way in but hits the block where the tube necks down a little. But it does work on my Lightning :). And the lawn mower. And the boat. And the motor home. And the powerstroke. And at work on several thousand lawn mowers and ATVs during a year's time.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Makes noise mainly turning right. I'll have to mess with it again or just take it to a freaking shop and be done with it.
turning right . then look at the left wheel bearing

might bee both sides W/B's

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
If you replace one bearing, do both sides. Bearings and brakes in pairs for matched set.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So will the bearing eventually just seize up if I don't fix it soon?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I bought a new hub, brakes and axle nut today. I went with the Moog brand for $70. Also bought a 36mm socket but I have to check to see if my torque wrench goes to 221 ft/lbs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts