Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 fastback 347 and a T5 ,open rear end and SHELBY traction bars that wheel hops so violently that it rips the welded plate and welds that the bars are attached to. Did I miss something? Do something wrong? Springs too weak?Going to slapper bars unless someone has a fix for this. THANKS...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have a similiar setup with a trac loc rear and zero wheel hop. Maybe it's because of the open rear or weak springs. What springs?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Man, I had almost the same thing happen w/o actully ripping the welds off however. I thought the underide bars would cure my bad wheelhop, they alone did not. What did was 2 fold. I replaced my kyb shocks w/ the rancho 9000 adjustable's and put leaf spring clamps on the front half of the spring pack 3 per side. After that no wheel at all.....hope this helps.. i had replaced my rear leafs years ago w/ the stock 4 leaf jobs from Mustang store...i have one" lowering blocks as well...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have the underides and don't have a problem with wheel hop. The fact that it is ripping the plate and the welds sounds like they were not installed correctly in the first place. I would go back and re-weld everything really well meaning run the weld bead all around the plate making sure you are getting good penetration. I have never broken my plates off and I launch my car very hard. Secondly, having an open rear might have something to do with it because one wheel is hooking then the other wheel will sometimes grab creating a shock load to one side. I had this happen when I had an open rear and got some wheel hop. Unfortunately, along with the wheel hop, I managed to break the rearend. I would upgrade to a locker which would help plant the power evenly and I bet would eliminate your wheel hop problem.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
When I put the Shelby under rides on my car it eliminated the bad wheel hop I was experiencing. I have 5 leaf mid eye springs and KYB rear shocks. Also have a limited slip rear.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Same here, 489 cid alum headed FE and it doesnt hop a lick, sounds like something is binding when the suspension squats

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I removed my underriders after I sheared the front bolt. Mine worked fine except when I power shifted. High rpm power shifts with sticky tires caused severe wheel hop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts