Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want a badass leaf suspension on my 74 maverick 4 door... i will take any and all ideas. thanks
Jason

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just replace the worn stock springs. They can be done by any competent shop. Tell them what you are after and they can help. There are fancier ways to go, but it would be expensive. If you want things hanging on the car to look at, buy some ladder bars. After you have had them rubbing/scraping on everything in sight for a while you will go back to stock anyway!

·
Registered
314 Posts
On 2002-02-21 19:24, 1970GALAXIE wrote:
If you want things hanging on the car to look at, buy some ladder bars. After you have had them rubbing/scraping on everything in sight for a while you will go back to stock anyway!
How do you figure that. I have ladder bars on my 69 Mustang. They are not even close to scraping. My exhaust, oil pan and trans pan are all lower than the ladder bars. If they drag the ground, that's a sign that the installer didn't know what they were doing.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I've still got the factory springs on my '75 mav bracket car, only I installed a set of "home-made" cal-trac traction bars. Best 60' was 1.44 w/c4 and 302. I switched to a powerglide and 393, so I havent gotten it sorted out yet, but I will say I'll never go back to a 3 speed auto in a drag car! The 'glide is too sweet

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey Dave C ... that is indeed a very sweet setup you have on your mustang. i take it that your 'stang is mostly a drag car.... my maverick will probably be more of a street oriented car... how would a ladder bar setup work for street? i have friend in the muffler business that have installed upside down ladder bar setups on some trucks, so if i went that way i'm sure they could help me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My car is all drag nowadays. The ladder bars really do their job on the track. I really wouldn't advise them for the street though. They don't ride as rough as people say, but they don't want to go around corners very well. Not that I'm doing that anyways with a spooled rear end.

For a street car I would say either go 4 link if budget allows or a set of Cal-TRacs with some "good" springs and shocks.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i dont know about a budget but i think a leaf suspension is basic and classy. one of my fave cars is a 64 belvedere ss super stock i believe and i think its cool.

hey mavman... how did you lower your maverick?? i wouldn't mind lowering mine cuz i think there is a little to much space betwixt tires and car...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts