Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think my ballast resistor to coil has been bypassed but how do I test please.
I connected a digital volt meter to + terminal and earth while engine was running and it read 10.2 v while battery was reading 14.2 . Is this correct ?
I am only asking as I am fitting a new mallory unilite distributor to my wagon and it needs to run a resistor fed live .

Thanks in anticipation mark, england

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
That would be correct.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Stop.

Your RUNNING voltage to the Ignition Coil + should be Equal to or LESS than 9 Volts.

The 10 volt reading you are getting is 10 due to the coil actively discharging I think... And not really representative of a reduced voltage.

The Easiest way is to look UNDER your dash follow the Pink Resistor wire and make sure it's not been cut or bypassed. It has a brown cloth wrapper for 90% of it's length.

It comes off the I terminal in your ignition switch and has a pig tailed plug from a green wire on the switch to the pink.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
All my wires under dash are painted red with a horrible paint that you can't remove by previous owner.sadly. I think what I'll do for safety is run a fresh wire from ignition to a new ballast resistor and on to coil that should be ok shouldn't it?

I can trace the wire back to firewall plug with no problem but I can't do it under dash

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If the charging voltage was 13 instead of 14 it would be 9 volts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
On my 68 Galaxie, the pink resistor wire coming out of the back of the ignition switch felt different than the other wires. It seemed to be more pliable than the other wires. There was also a red with yellow stripe wire coming from the same location as the resistor wire on the switch. I spliced into the red/yellow wire for my pertronix and now have the recomended 12v, which I have to give thanks to the guys on here that helped me through this.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts