Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, fitted an Accel 52000 series electonic dizzy to my cleveland, with an Accel super coil part number 140001. Do I need to use a ballast resistor with this set-up?
The instructions for the dizzy say you do not need any resistors and the voltage to the coil should be within 1 volt of whats at the battery.
The instructions for the coil say you must use resistors or the coil will overheat and damage itself.
I don`t know which one to follow

car is a `70 mach1 and has a factory ballast resistor wire still fitted.
cheers,
UK Mach1 dude.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
To have plus or minus 0ne volt of the battery strength: You will need to delete the resister wire and use a full twelve volt coil. The coils that use a resister wire usually operate on 5.5/ 7.5 volts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rayell on 6/7/06 7:22pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems if you feed the distributor off full +12v and the coil's + side through the ballast resistor. This effectively will make your coil 'look' like a lower performance unit to the distributor, since it will have a higher resistance, but should not have any negative affects on your performance and will make life easier on the coil. If you think you get a high RPM miss with this setup, get a lower resistance ballast resistor, or get rid of it completely and see how long it lasts... if the distributor says it is not needed, then it might have some current limiting built in, so having a ballast resistor would just be overkill.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I'm running the Accel 71000 series distributor and a MSD coil. I installed a .8 ohm resistor and after re-reading the information that came with the coil and distributor I removed it. The instructions on the coil noted if using on an old points style distributor you must use the .8 ohm resistor. It is as clear as mud.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retyler on 6/8/06 9:14pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
With the 52000 series you must REMOVE the ballast from the link.... I just did it to a '73 Challenger yesterday.... The red wire needs a good constant contact to full battery voltage in Run and in the Start position...

FE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts