Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it whenever I see or hear about a 302/351 Ranger they allways use either a C4, C6, AOD, or a T5 transmission. I built a 302 Ranger a couple years ago and I used a C4 because it was the cheapest way possible. The Ranger has sat for a year now because I stole its 302/C4 for another project, but I am turning it into a 50/50 street/bracket racer and I want a 5 speed. From where I stand in Maine a good T5 with all necessary parts for the swap would cost me $1000-$1500. I HATE automatics especially when drag racing, yes they have their pros compared to sticks but for me the fun factor allways overrules. My question is this, why cant I pick up an early '90s Ford F-150 5.0/5-speed truck and transplant the whole engine/trans into my Ranger? Im sure the trans is pretty beefy and would need some custom trans tunnel work but why dont people use these transmissions?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
the F150 5 speed is usually a POS. They won't even hold up to a STOCK 5.0! They are manufactured by Mazda. Enough said.

They are very expensive to fix. Very expensive to get from a junkyard because they are usually highly sought after. You can't powershift them at all....well....you can try but it won't take long to either break something or break your arm trying. I've had several F150s with those transmissions. Even had a Ranger...same transmission basically. The ranger was the best one of all as far as shifting but it was still very notchy shifting and powershifting it ALWAYS grinds the next gear.

That's why a T5 is the best choice. A friend has a '85 Ranger...2.3 turbo and a S10 5 speed (well it's actually a hybrid of Mustang T5 and S10 T5...that's about all I know about it) and it does great. Almost as fast as my Lightning

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Old TopLoader 4-Speed will take PLENTY of abuse!
Agreed, Manual IS more fun!

Remember...Success is a Journey, Not a Destination

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FATNFAST on 12/5/06 4:01am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Yep a stick is the way to go, a top loader will take anything you throw at it pretty much but you could also get by with a t5 if you do some mods to it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i would look into a well built auto. i got a c-4 from bte engineering, good t0 700 hp, you can get an all manual valve body which would require shifting. this is tire chirping shifting with no clutch to worry about or mess up with. cant compare

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FUN-FACTOR is most important to me. If a stick ran 3/10s slower in the 1/4 over a C4 I would still prefer a stick

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way what would it cost me to get set up entirely with a toploader? I have allways wanted to go that route but F150s are very plentiful around here.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Automatics are faster? Is that why the NHRA Prostock cars (the quickest na cars around) use them? Sure one can be more consistent with an automatic, just mash the gas & go, but where's the fun in that?

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts