Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NHRA rules say that a trunk-mount battery must also have a cutoff switch which disables all electrical. Simply running the + side of the battery through the switch will only do this if no alternator is used (if an alternator is present, the engine will continue to run).

I'm looking for info on how others have wired their switch to meet this requirement.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Ok, i read the article on relocating a battery. Good info. Now what if I(and I do) want to put the starter solenoid in the trunk too? What else would be needed?
I understand that this move makes for a good theft deterrent also.

·
Registered
359 Posts
good for theft deterant and also good for traction, and are you sure that if will keep running. I belivie it would be possible to wire your ignition to the switch so it kills it that way

·
Registered
314 Posts
On 2002-01-31 09:58, DF66Stang wrote:
The NHRA rules say that a trunk-mount battery must also have a cutoff switch which disables all electrical. Simply running the + side of the battery through the switch will only do this if no alternator is used (if an alternator is present, the engine will continue to run).

I'm looking for info on how others have wired their switch to meet this requirement.
It is much easier to hook up if you have a 1 wire alternator. I used this one on my 69 Mustang:
http://www.falconparts.com/One%20Wire%20Alternator.htm
Only costs $30 and works great.

Run the single wire (8 ga) from the alt either to the battery or to the battery sid eof the cutoff switch. With it on that side when you turn the switch it will kill the ignition.

You can put the starter solenoid in the trunk and run a large cable up to just the starter, but you must also extend the rest of the wiring back to the trunk. Or you can just run a another 8 ga wire up to another solenoid in the original location. The one in the original location can be wored the same as stock just minus the wire going to the starter. You also need to use either a fusable link or 50 amp breaker in the wire going back to the front.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is how I did it. Buy a two circuit cutoff switch. Run your positive battery cable to the battery circuit. Use the other circuit to energize, de-energize a NON self grounding constant duty solenoid (the kind in golf carts).These circuits are independent of each other. I use a one wire alternator. Run the output of the alternator to one side of the constant duty solenoid. Wire the other side to your starter solenoid.(this is where your battery cable is attached.) Run a #14 gauge wire from the cutoff switch to the constant duty solenoid. Run a #14 gauge wire from the cutoff switch to ground. What you are doing is cutting electrical flow from the alternator by removing ground from the constant duty solenoid. When you turn off the cutoff switch, you drop out the constant duty solenoid. This stops alternator electrical flow.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When using an alternator that requires an activation source(outside[12volt])the current will back feed the source wire suppling voltage that will operate the electrical system(to some extent),place a diode inline of the source wire.The diode allows the current to travel only one way,this will stop the voltage back feed problem,and allow the car to be completly shut down at the battery master switch..Livermore Dave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts