Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery in my 64 galaxie500 keeps going dead while sitting in the garage , I have charged it and after a few days it is dead . I checked nothing is left on . The battery is seven years old I still have the generator on the car. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
499 Posts
+1 Seven years is a long time. If you want, you can take it to an auto parts store to test. You'll have to take it out of the car and fully charge it as they can't test it discharged. But if it isn't failed now, it surely will be soon. Also, when they fully discharge more than a couple of times, they don't last long after that.

Pat

·
Registered
204 Posts
Agreed above....batteries should be replaced after 5 years or so anyway. I have a cut-off switch on my battery to disconnect the battery when the car is in the garage to try to prolong it, but I'll drop a new one in after a certain period of time as regular maintenance.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The battery in my 64 galaxie500 keeps going dead while sitting in the garage , I have charged it and after a few days it is dead . I checked nothing is left on . The battery is seven years old I still have the generator on the car. Any advise would be appreciated.
Hello MJH,

Whilst others have an excellent point of an older battery being problematic, I would suggest a parasitic drain test just to be sure nothing is being left on that you can't directly notice. Such an item for example would be a deck lid lamp with a faulty switch and you can't tell it's on with the lid closed.

This would be a good test to ensure the longevity of a new expensive battery.

Cheers

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you do have a parasitic drain, the first things I would unplug to test would be the clock (although my non-working clock doesn't drain the battery), an aftermarket stereo if installed, and the generator. I kind of doubt the generator would cause this condition especially if it's working normally (about 13-14.5 volts when running). I only mention it because I had an alternator on a much later F150 drain the battery, though it otherwise seemed to charge normally. I suspect it was a bad diode, which generators don't have.

Good luck!

Pat

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
+1 to all that, and I diagnose with logical steps. I disconnect the battery and charge it. If it's dead after a few days, it's the battery. If it is not dead but low-voltage <12.6V, then it's the battery and a parasitic draw. If the battery is at full resting 12.6 voltage after a few days, then it is primarily a parasitic draw. Determine that first, to know what to do next.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts