Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't seem to keep my battery charged in my 1970 Ranchero. I have installed a new battery, new alternator, new solenoid, new voltage regulator and new coil, all to no avail. Battery registers 13v cold on the voltmeter and 13v when the car is running as well when fully charged. I have a new alternator in so I'm just not getting it. A week or two later the battery needs charging again. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sounds like a wiring problem. (Or one of your new components is defective.) It should be reading more voltage when the engine is running than when it is just sitting with the key off. (I assume you are checking it with a fairly accurate digital voltmeter.) Anyway, good luck in tracking the problem down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could still be a bad alternator. You can hook an amp meter directly to the alternator to see if its producing any amperes while engine is on idle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you try disconnecting the positive terminal on the battery with the key of and using a meter to see how much it is drawing? I've had starters go bad and do this. Still start the car but drain the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts