Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i got one for you my 68 has a short that i cant find.I have to take the pos ter off the battery every time i shut the car off. Now i have take every fuse out and still killes the battery.now if i take the alt wires off thin it ok. Is it possible that my alt is shorting out the battery let me know if you have any idea what it could be.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
So the battery is going dead even with the positive terminal disconnected?

You've got a bad battery.

·
Registered
331 Posts
More then likely the regulator is bad causing the field to be energized in you alternator all the time.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It doesn't matter what else you disconnect, if the positive terminal is disconnected, you can't have a current draw, and your battery is bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im sorry only when i have the battery terminal on it kills the battery.
i have to take it off every time i shut the car of.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
THat's what you said before, but Azzle wasn't reading the whole thing....

I'll bet if you unplug the regulator that it will stop draining the battery... If you replace it you won't have to unplug it anymore...

To test it: Disconnect the battery and let the car cool off fully. Then plug it in and start it up for a couple seconds then shut it off and wait. If the regulator get's warm on you it's time to replace it. And that is your likely source of drainage.

FE

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey going broke thanks for the info it was the voltage reg i put the new one in and no dead batt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts