Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I moved the battery on my 69 years ago.

The best way is to go to a welding supply store and get a length of welding cable and two crimp on ring terminals for it. It works better than the 2ga wire that usually comes in the battery relocation kits and is cheaper also. Use this wire as the "hot" wire. A regular battery cable will do for the ground. I used a marine battery box and made some hold downs from some threaded rod and a piece of scrap plate. The rods pass through the flange on the framerail under the passenger side trunk floor.

Since the battery is in the trunk it will need to be sealed off with a firewall or it has to be in a sealed box vented to the outside. I made a firewall out of .040 aluminum since I also had a fuel cell. Killed two birds with one stone. Moroso sells a nice sealed box for ~$90 or so. You will also need a master cutoff switch since the battery is in the trunk. I mounted mine in the rear valve under the bumper. Some people like to mount them behind the license plate, but my fuel cell outlets were too close.

For a street/strip car I would consider moving the fender mounted solenoid into the trunk. That way the large cable going to the front is only hot when you are cranking the starter. Just run the cable directly to the starter. You will also need another wire going to the front to feed everything else. Use a 6-8ga wire for this with a 50 amp or more breaker or fuse. That way if the wire gets a hole chaffed in it you don't burn the car down.

My car is now race only and no longer has any street miles so chaffing is not much of a concern. Plus my cable has double thick insulation. It also goes inside a section of garden hose any place where it passes through metal. Mine has the large wire hot all the time and the fender solenoid in the regular location.

A pic before the back-half:

After the back-half, basically the same, but the mountins is a little different:

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks, the color hasn't changed. The first website had pics that were taken with a cheap digital camera just before sunset. It made the car look seafoam green. The actual color is Gulfstream Aqua. A bluish-green. That's the original color, just had it done in base/clear paint. I've done some other work since the orignal pics were taken. All the new frame rails, etc have been painted and I have added a Boss 429 replica scoop from Crites. One of these days I'll gte around to taking some new pics to replace those with the green looking paint. Some new pics:
http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/scripts/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=26404&ck=&ver=3.0

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 3/16/02 8:44am ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts