Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after looking at car lot after car lot and everything from Audi-Volvo for a go back to school car for my wife I have this beer induced idea. Lets Take the cash we're going to use on her car and build our Galaxie 7 Litre into a driver, of course I knew she'd never bite, right? OMG she bit! Hook line and sinker. So I go to bed happy.

The next day I wake up to the scariest scenario, my wife involved in the planning, budgeting and build of my baby. Then I'm going to give her the keys for the better part of the week to drive. So, how bad have I screwed up? I still think these cars were meant to be driven and I love the idea of it being back on the road for real. But have I lost my mind?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
So after looking at car lot after car lot and everything from Audi-Volvo for a go back to school car for my wife I have this beer induced idea. Lets Take the cash we're going to use on her car and build our Galaxie 7 Litre into a driver, of course I knew she'd never bite, right? OMG she bit! Hook line and sinker. So I go to bed happy.

The next day I wake up to the scariest scenario, my wife involved in the planning, budgeting and build of my baby. Then I'm going to give her the keys for the better part of the week to drive. So, how bad have I screwed up? I still think these cars were meant to be driven and I love the idea of it being back on the road for real. But have I lost my mind?
Hey Mr. S,
How about giving her the keys to YOUR daily driver, and YOU start driving the 7L?

JC

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like its going to be triple black. I've got all new black interior, I'm ordering a black vinyl top and guess what color paint I've got on hand yep black. Not my first choice but I'm going for driver not show and the extra black may come in handy when that damn whiney little kid in the Honda parked next to it slams a door in to my fresh paint.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
You see paint color as the issue? I love you man but Jeremy you have, as you suspected, lost your mind.

Do you will think she (and the HPD) will enjoy the open exhaust? Will she like driving with no hood and no quarter panel? Holding her morning coffee with her legs because there are no cup holders? What happens when the engine freezes up on I-45, overheated because of that puny electric fan you have in there? Or almost as bad, floods out at an intersection on FM 1960? Is she fine with calling a taxi at 8AM because the darned old car wouldn't start? Any chance she will walk out from class and find out some college boys hotwired it for an excellent joyride? Did you ask her if AM radio is all she needs for listening pleasure? And if lap belts are all safety she needs for her and the young'un?

Now, when I came by to visit you a few weeks ago she wasn't home. So I can't really say - hell, maybe she would answer all of the above with "Yes!" I hope so. Otherwise I'm concerned that come next spring you will be selling that 7-Liter for a down payment on a used Civic. THAT would be a tragic ending!

Your friend (and just sayin' with a few things to put on your "to do" list)

Tom

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now you know it's not hitting the road in pieces or with no exhaust. The radio is a retro mod and has an iPod jack. The fuel system is all new and I'm going to run an electric fuel pump so she doesn't spill her coffee pumping the pedal. I did however consider that I'll need to upgrade the fan to a full shrouded dual fan setup. Besides if she complains she has to drive my truck as punishment. And the 7 Litre will not be for sale, so don't try and talk her out of it. I'll sell the ole F250 first, not that I would need to, to buy a little car. If I get in a pinch I'll sell one of the Packards or a Model A. I'll be OK, I've been building cars since I was little.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Darn, I was hoping I could swoop in for a quick sale :)

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I hate to eat crow, but... I made the decision not to go through with the rushed daily driver version of my car. I got excited about having the funds and go ahead to finish my Gal in record time, but couldn't stomach s few things. I really don't want this build rushed, some of my designs were being cut due to time constraints and I would have had to listen to the wife gripe about things that were just "joys" of driving a classic. Then there's the idea of handing those keys to her and turning her loose with a 428 powered vehicle that's as long as our garage is deep knowing she curb checks my Focus's SVT wheels all the time. Oh-well I guess I'll just drink beer and take my time on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts