Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ford Muscle Forum members, I am in the process of replacing my 289 with a 302 block from a 1982 F150 truck (roller block). My 289 now has a 5 bolt bellhousing that I know will not work. My question I need help with is; Can I simply pick up a 6 bolt bell housing for (65 though 68) Mustang 6 bolt type to mate my Borg Warner T-10 four speed to the newer 1982 truck 302 block. I know I will have to pick up a matching block plate as well. Please advise if my thinking is right for what I want to do. Thanks Mickeystan

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Unfortunately it is not as simple as that. The 5 bolt bellhousing used a "narrow" case T10 and when Ford went to the 6 bolt bellhousing they switched to a "wide" case--which means they extended the mounting ears. Due to the need to continue warranty the older narrow transmission, they also included the narrow pattern on new cases.

Unless your T10 was replaced in the past by a wide case with the dual pattern, your going to be in a tough spot.

Although the cases pictured below are from toploaders, the T10's would have went through the same changes:

There may have been a few bellhousings that had both patterns (?) but they would be quite rare being only produced for a year or so around 1965--but not all 65' bells would have been cast this way.

Your best bet might to be to find a used Lakewood 15200 (or other brand) SBF scattershield since came with the dual pattern for both transmisson cases. They still make them that way today. Ebay would be a source for used, but be sure it comes with the blocking plate:

A blocking plate looks similar to this generic one I found:

New scattershields (Lakewood 15200) come with them. Used scattershields often come without as the owner discards this needed item.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dennis111 for all of the advice! Your knowledge is very much appreciated. Is there any reason that I could not drill and tap the narrow T-10 Borg Warner mounting bolt pattern on a C5DA-6394-A bell housing. This particular bell housing was listed as used on the late 65 though 67 Mustangs and other. It is a 6 bolt bell housing with bosses extended to the position of the narrow pattern locations (although not drilled and tapped there) from what I can see. Is this a feasible idea or am I missing something. Thanks again for the advice. Mickeystan

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
You got lucky!

If the bosses exist, go ahead and tap away. Just make sure that they are drilled straight and perpendicular to the machined facing. Best to use a drill press or a better yet have a machine shop that has a vertical mill do it.

You should also pre-check to see if the transmission snout fits the register of the bellhousing. I don't know if it is on a T10 but the 64' toploader snout diameter were a little smaller in diameter, IIRC. Is so, a shim should be made. You'd have the same issue no matter what newer bell is used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts