Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been gathering the parts to put a toploader in my Comet. I have 2 bell housings, Both small block.
C5AA-6394-B aluminum and C5TA-6394-A cast iron.
I was going to use the aluminum one cause it is lighter, and sell the cast one. But before doing this my question is would there be any advantage to using the cast one?? Stronger?? Going to be using a billet steel 164-tooth flywheel.

Thanks
Lou

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Not much difference between the two.

You should seriously consider going with a scattershield instead if you do any spirited driving. Several of us have had flywheel/clutch issues on the street and have had parts flying. Mine was a relatively stock 4 speed 390 Javelin that never saw a drag strip-that was around 1980. It was never abused to the extent that the Mustang gets.

Was messing with the motor trying to get it to run right after a soaking rainstorm. Went for a spirited spin and then back to the parking lot to opened the hood to check things out again. Rev'ed the motor a couple of times in neutral and BAM-the flywheel shattered into several mostly large pieces. Luckily most of it went downward so it took out the exhaust and made a few decent dents hear and there. One piece embedded in the blacktop so deep I couldn't dig it out. The PP and disk hung on the damaged input shaft.

I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if I was driving it instead. For that reason I always recommend a real scattershield for anything above a conservatively driven daily driver. I scored mine on ebay, although they can be found at swap meets (Carlisle.) I also recommend a good aftermarket billet flywheel/bolts too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts