Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to take the 5 bolt bellhousing off of my 64 comet's C4 (case fill, screw in modulator) and put it on a newer C4/C5 with a pan fill/push in modulator?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
yup,a case fill is a case fill. here is a 64 bell on a 78 trans

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 7/15/06 1:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
And yes, you can put a case fill bell on a pan fill trans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much longer will the bolts have to be? Also, how easy is the swap? is it simply a matter of removing the pump bolts from both transmissions and swapping the bells, or will they be more involved?

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Yes as long as you use the bolts to match the bell your good to go.I can check the length if you need . I think they were 1+3/4" x 3/8 UNC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now, I just want to be sure of one thing before I yank the transmissions out of these two cars and attempt the bellhousing swap. What is the difference between a C4 and a C5? I've been reading posts about people swapping a C4 for a C5 and vice versa. I guess, since i'm not sure if the trans in the newer car (pan fill, push in modulator) is a C4 or a C5, will the bell swap to a trans that I know is a C4 (early 64 model year, case fill, screw in mod)?
Thanks for any help clarifying this.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Being a panfill it should be a C4. C5 was made '82 and newer. If the trans is older than that it's a C4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Allright. Thanks for the clarification. I will attempt the swap.

Would the most likely cause of minor slippage be a band that needs adjustment?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If it is slipping in second and not in any other gear yes a front band adjustment would be in order. If it slips in reverse but is fine in all the forward gears then the rear band would be the adjustment that was necessary. If it slips in second and/or high then it would be the forward clutches that were bad and a rebuild is in order.
Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts