Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recieved my comp c-4, now i had problem with getting the right bellhousing for it, this trans is going in my 69mach1 408w. fmx to c-4. the trans has dip stick tube in case , so i quess its cased filled or is it pan filled, getting confused on these c-4's all new to me. has a pan on it whats the differance between the two?. also will that SPI bell work with this set up, they say it will work on small bell and large bell. costs more. i have the 164 SPI flywheel now also 11 7\16 converter coming so now i need the right bell anybody give an idea what to get, because this is getting real confusing. thanks .

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You will need to find a bell that bolts to the pump (case fill) and for the larger flywheel. There are some on eBay from time to time.

Just for info, the pan fill bell bolts to the case with 5 bolts and not the pump.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
64 TBOLT I know getting old this c-4, my problem was that the c-4 that i got has the dip stick going though the case into the pan, so i quess it was a pan filled c-4,but the place where i got the trans from gave me a pt# for a bellhousing that i need to make it fit my motor which is 7976A which i sent back to another trans guy who though i was nuts that it did not fit the pump.so here i am all confused on this trans swap.did not know there is differant kinds of c-4 and bell, case filled or pan filled, so i hope to get this thing moving after all this back and forth stuff,i have the SPI flywheel 164 tooth, and coming soon the 11\7\1\6 converter.now all i need is that bellhousing. i heard that the SPI bell will fit large and small c-4 might just go with that. i sent pictures to dynamic racing to show him what trans i have, so he can take it from there,i'm not up on these fords c-4's because i always had the fmx in my mustang. sorry for all the confusion on this just want to get this dam trans in.thanks

·
Registered
3,549 Posts

this is a pan fill

this is a case fill(C6 same idea)
you will find the pan fill trans in 1/2 ton trucks and vans and the case fill in cars,but not allways

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 6/3/02 9:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
64 TBOLT thanks i'm getting the picture now on c-4's. mine is a case filled, but why would the company send me a c-4,and tell me to get a pan filled bell when they sent me a case c-4, thats how this all started, strange, maybe they send so much out at once they get screwed up. anyway now i have to either get a bell to fit this c-4 large if they have them, because i have a 164 tooth flywheel in my garage and they are sending me a converter large one, oh boy i can see trouble ahead with this trans swap. thanks for the pic's.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Mind if I jump in? If I have it right, the size of the flex plate, 157 tooth vs 164 (i think) will dictate the bell size. The bell for the 157 tooth will bolt up to the pump, while the bell for the 164? will bolt up separately to the housing. Hey I'm still learning this stuff myself!

·
Premium Member
4,465 Posts
Thats pretty much how it is. You must match the correct bellhousing and flexplate for the starter to mesh correctly.Usually the 164t bellhousing does bolt to the case though ,there is a factory 164t housing that bolts to the pump but it is rare.I think the aftermarket housings bolt to the pump also and will fit the 164 f/plate..
You should be really confused now.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am so confused, only kidding,I know that the SPI bell will fit both small and large, so if worst comes to worst i'll get the SPI bell and be done with this nitemare, wow just wanted to change over from fmx to c-4, but man this is getting pretty old now,i do know that the converter is a large one 11 7\1\6 converter, and i have the 164 flywheel already, so the UPS guy is getting tired of me sending this stuff back all the time,let you know if i ever get this trans in my mach1. thanks FORDMUSCLE.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.