Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 mustang with a 302. The only accessories that are fun off the belt are the water pump and the alternator. The alternator is the very old and has been on the car since I got it. Anyway Just recently the belt started squeeling without me doing anything to the engine. I took of the belt and the alternator and water pump spin freely, and there is enough tension on the belt. Any ideas on what is causing this?

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Check the sides of the belt as that is the point of contact and see if the sides are glazed. If so, as PSivory stated above, replace the belts. Very important when you do, check the alignment of the pulleys with a large straightedge to verify correct alignment. You might have to shim one in or out. ....John

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If it squeels all the time it is probably not the belt. Alternator bearings (especially the bulley end bearing will squeel when they get dry and old. They are not hard to replace but it does require a press and some other tools that not every backyard mechanic has. If it squeels only when it is charging then replace the belt.
Paul

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is what I was thinking. THe alt still spins freely but makes some noise when you do spin it even by hand. I think I am going to replace it anyway because I have lots of electronic accessories that require a higher output alternator. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Yea I'd replace it... if its making noise when you turn it by hand.. when you put prusher on it with the belt it well have a lot more resistantes.
tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts