Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I have 2 FE starter motors that i want to check that they work before i put them on the replacement engine for the 66 FB. Well I want to know the engine runs before i put it in then the car only to discover i have to take it out again and rebuild it.

What I have done to test them as of now is ground them and apply positive power form the magical power box (batery) to the one and only post on the motor. Now the battery is good because it starts the 66 vert just fine. But when I try it on the two starters that are not wired to the solonoid, well i get sparks and not much go on the motor. I have taken that odd box cover thing that cover the bendix arm thing that pushes the bendix out and put something in between the contacts that become depressed when the bendix arm thing pushes on it, then it turns when power is applied. So how do I bench test these buggers or are they shot?

Thanks all,

Coal

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
You do as you did. But you need a GOOD grab between grounding the case and positiving the positive.

Use jumper cables to get a good connection on the ground and battery side, then hold the + side to the starter HARD to get good connection.

If it's a crap starter is will perform crappy, if good it will give good torque and you can tell....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
when you insulate the contacts, you eliminate the pull in windings, and use only the hold in windings. as stated, make sure you make a good connection.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
What goes out on starters? Mine is out of the car and I'm thinking of doing some PM, just don't know what part to buy.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Coal,
The best way to test an old starter is at NAPA, AdvanceAuto or Autozone. If they are honest you'll get an honest evaluation. Just because a starter works doesn't mean when it heats up that you'll get the torque it needs to turn the engine over with zest. Just my two cents after having to change enough of them. Jim

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
What goes out on starters? Mine is out of the car and I'm thinking of doing some PM, just don't know what part to buy.
Depends on the style of the starter, some have a built in solenoid that the contacts get crappy on and they need to be filed and cleaned up. Some it's just the windings going bad, or a cracked magnet, or the bushings in the top and bottom.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Coal,
The best way to test an old starter is at NAPA, AdvanceAuto or Autozone. If they are honest you'll get an honest evaluation. Just because a starter works doesn't mean when it heats up that you'll get the torque it needs to turn the engine over with zest. Just my two cents after having to change enough of them. Jim
Same way I test mine, Jim.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys!

As i thought, the starters are not great. They turn but no where near enough to start a string trimmer.

Guess the saying is right, the faster you throw money at it the faster you get done.

Coal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts