Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a core to start my rebuild project and trying to figure out which vehicle to look for.

I'd like a C5 (for the better oiling) case fill (for header clearance). I read somewhere in this forum about 82 (?) up having harden shafts.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like the C5's hardened shafts, oiling , forward drum can hold 5 firctions easy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I want a C5 but what vehicles are the best to find what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
659 Posts
C5's 81 thru think 86 on some cars and trucks.
Look for 81-85 t-birds or cougars v6 or v8's
I think bronco's and some vans had them also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Some info...

1982 Mercury Cougar Station Wagon

1983 mercury cougar; 3-speed automatic (C5) - standard equipment & 4-speed overdrive automatic (AOD) - optional on V6, standard on V8

1984 mercury cougar; 3-speed automatic (C5) & 4-speed overdrive automatic (AOD) & 5-speed manual (T-5; XR7 only)

1985 mercury cougar; 3-speed automatic (C5) & 4-speed overdrive automatic (AOD) & 5-speed manual (T-5; XR7 only)

1986 mercury cougar(SEFI); 3-speed automatic (C5) & 4-speed overdrive automatic (AOD) & 5-speed manual (T-5; XR7 only)

1987 mercury cougar; 4-speed overdrive automatic (AOD)

1980 Ford Thunderbird

1981 Thunderbird

1982 Ford Thunderbird

1983 Ford Thunderbird

1984 Ford Thunderbird

1985 Ford Thunderbird

1986 Ford Thunderbird

1983-86 Bronco II; can't find C5 info...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MisterN on 11/16/06 7:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Full and mid-size cars with 302 and 351W but make sure they don't have the FMX (cast iron case - aluminum bell and tail housings).
I like the pan fill with the case mount bell housing but there are clearance problems on some cars and with headers with the case mount bells. There is the added expense of the new valve body, converter and bell housing to make the C5 into a C4. aside from those pieces if you get a C5 from most any full size car it will have the five clutch drums and will take less internal mods to make it a durable transmission.
What are you planning to put in front of it? How much HP will be under the control of the tranny?
Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info guys, Thanks! This will save me alot of time.

This will be going behind a 302 stroked to 331 (380 RWHP/380 RWTQ) in a 1993 Mustang that I run in SCCA "C" Prepared autocross events. Future engine upgrades to be competitive will require 600+HP so I plan to build the tranny with that in mind to some extend as funds allow.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Keep in mind that theres really nothing that the C5 case has that the C4 case cant me modified to do in 20 minutes. If you have a good C4 case dont give it up to pay for a C5.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Good choice! Now all you need is a good stock overhaul kit, a TransGo -2 kit, a 72 or later valve body, a big transmission cooler, C4 converter and a bell housing to match. The standard parts are easily good for 400 HP so you have no worries.
Paul

·
Registered
113 Posts
On 2006-11-19 06:06, 64 TBOLT wrote:
it came off a V6. is it a lockup one?? youll be able to tell when you pull the pan
If it is, any the converter worked... I coulding find a converter so it might be a part someone else wants. Don't junk the converter right away, if it'a lockup type.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do I tell if it's a lockup convertor?

Do I need to dig it out of the garage trash?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
did you pull the pan??? hang on to the converter for now

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 11/19/06 11:29pm ]</font>

·
Registered
159 Posts
On 2006-11-19 04:05, PaulS1950 wrote:
Good choice! Now all you need is a good stock overhaul kit, a TransGo -2 kit, a 72 or later valve body, a big transmission cooler, C4 converter and a bell housing to match. The standard parts are easily good for 400 HP so you have no worries.
Paul
'70 and up will work for a valve body. Ive got a few extra and a 157 tooth bell if you need one

·
Registered
159 Posts
If its got a deep pan it will be a lockup converter valve body

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I tore it down today. I didn't pull the clutch packs apart but all the thrust washers look really good. Cleaned the case and tail.

My front plant has a roller bearing on the tail shaft side that doesn't seem to be removable. Is that typical?

My trans has a deep pan (vs. the C4 pan) like the pictures on this site, I thought all C5's had the deep pan or are there two deep styles of pans?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts