Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of tri-y headers that I had purchased though a supplier of Scott Drake. They work but had to put a large dent near the collector to get them to fit. Never paid a whole bunch for them ...lol Now I would like a set that has a good fit and long tubes might be the way to go. Too many out there to choose from. Now from a fit and finish I have seen Hookers. Nice. Any others that have worked or ones I should stay away from. 289 engine is what is in the Stang

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have Stan's FPA long tube step 1/5/8" to 1 3/4" headers on my 65 Mustang and they fit perfect. I have also used Hooker 6901 and they fit really well.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I have a couple options ...Now FE what brand tri-y are you using on the falcon ...The one issue I had with Hooker headers before..they fit well once I had pulled the motor mount and raised the engine. I wonder if they sold me the wrong ones because there was no clearance on the shock towers. Back to the tri-ys ...maybe I have to buy a better brand than the ones I have on .

Greg

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Foleysfriend - Check out the Hedman long tube # 88300-308;s
I think they;re spec;d for both the Maverick & the early Mustang running a 289-351.
I bought a set as they;re a perfect fit for my early Fairlane too.
I sent them to a header coating company for coating, After trying to locate the company for 3 months(they moved!), i gave up & bought another set, & of course, as soon as i got set # 2 , my original set showed up at my door!
So, i have an extra set, brand new in the box that i coated with POR;s new Hi-Heat header paint.
I;m in Canada too, so shipping may not be crazy to you, And, i do have an event in Victoria coming up in March, if you are interested i could stick them in our semi thats shipping all our gear from Toronto to Vancouver.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I run supercomps on my 289. From what I understand, they fit best on stock 66 mounts... And you need the car up off the ground a few feet to get them in...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put a 88 mustang efi in my car today and cant fit in my headers which ones should I buy or should I run 289 hipo manifolds

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Back in the 80's, I fought with the cheap headers... Blackjack, Cyclone, etc... and finally bought some Hookers! No comparison! The Hookers didn't take any denting, and went right on! They sold 'Competition' and 'Super Competition'.

The 'Competition' was WAY less expensive... like half as much, and were supposed to be within 90% of the Super Comps. The Super Comps had tubes that were a little closer to equal length, and were made of thinner tubing for less weight.

I ran both, and the regular comps were much more robust, and felt like they would last a lot longer. The collectors for the Super Comps pointed straighter back, and were made just slightly different, but that was about it. Around the same ground clearance for both... Regular comps may have had a tad more, but going from memory, it would have been just a tad. Both hung down pretty low, so I welded skid plates to them to keep the tubes from getting damaged when they dragged.

To install the Super Comps... Jack front of car way up in the air, as both go in from underneath. Once it was up, remove the spark plugs, starter and take the bolt out of the passenger side motor mount. Jack up that side of the engine about an inch, and install the header. Can't remember if the driver side of the engine needs jacked up, but of course the original style clutch linkage needs removed for the install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Foleysfriend - Check out the Hedman long tube # 88300-308;s
I think they;re spec;d for both the Maverick & the early Mustang running a 289-351.
I bought a set as they;re a perfect fit for my early Fairlane too.
I sent them to a header coating company for coating, After trying to locate the company for 3 months(they moved!), i gave up & bought another set, & of course, as soon as i got set # 2 , my original set showed up at my door!
So, i have an extra set, brand new in the box that i coated with POR;s new Hi-Heat header paint.
I;m in Canada too, so shipping may not be crazy to you, And, i do have an event in Victoria coming up in March, if you are interested i could stick them in our semi thats shipping all our gear from Toronto to Vancouver.
Hi , I was just reading your post on the forum, do you still have the headers and will they fit a 66 Mustang with a 351 W ? If you still have them how much are you asking for them ? i'm also in Canada, Barrie Ontario. Please shoot me an email to [email protected] or call 705-770-3296 or 705-721-1200.
Thanks so much
Carrie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts