Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor I'll soon be working with is a 1968 302 attached to a C4 in a Cougar. I want the car to be a daily driver I can have fun with in my spare time. The engine block is stock. I am planning to upgrade the intake (dual plane edel), carb (600 cfm edelbrock), cam (0.5 lift, 224- ish) and exhaust (shorty headers, dual 2.5 inch).

Please answer me these questions three...

1) Will I really notice a SIGNIFICANT increase in performance v.s. my stock 302 heads if I upgrade to say shaved 351 W's or Victor Jr's? I'll be running in the 1,500 to 5,500 RPM range.

2) If so, what heads would you consider optimal for this combo that would be attainable for about $300 - $400?

3) I've seen fully asssembled iron Victor Jr's for $380 in JEGS. This seems like a pretty good price to me. What's the catch?

I'm fixing this car up as a graduation gift to myself and I need your help to spend my student loan money as efficiently as possible! Thanks, David

·
Registered
447 Posts
I thnk you are talking bout World Products heads. Victor Jr are race heads and cost a good bit. Get the World Proucts and yull be good as they are realitivly priced good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad. The heads I've been looking at are the World Windsor Jr. series. ( I was just reading about Victor intakes and something got crossed in my head. )

I priced the Windsor Jr's and the assembled steel castings ran about $850 new on the World website. Recently I saw them advertised, in JEGS, for $379 fully assembled (page 35 under "World Products" ). This seemed like an awfully big price difference. Do you know if there is a difference in these products?

Also I want to know if my motor (fairly stock, running at less than 5,500 rpms: see details above) will really be able to take advantage of a higher flowing head? The two I've been looking at are ported 351 Windsors and the World Jr's. All else being equal, what sort of performance could I expect from these heads over my stock ones. I'm trying to decide if the benefits are worth the $$$ I put in the heads. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wildcat on 2/6/02 5:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
379 x 2 = $758.00

thats $379 per head.

·
Registered
237 Posts
you will get the most benefit from heads, especially if your putting in a better cam and intake. what year are the 351W heads and how much porting was done? sounds like your going with a pretty mild setup, so if you can get a set of complete early 70s 351W heads with porting (more attention to the exhaust side) for a good price then go for it. Otherwise, something like a windor jr head could be good also. just watch for things like piston to valve clearance and how much compression youll lose or maybe gain. i think windsor jrs are 58cc and the early 70s 351w are either 58 or 60cc. find out what your stock compression is and the head cc. what year 302 motor do you have?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have a set of 68 D0OE 302 heads for sale that are all done up 1.84 and 1.54 valves, ported, cc'ed to 55.8, polished chambers, screw in studs, Edelbrock springs, planed .020 the list goes on and on. E-mail me if your interested.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: V8740 on 2/6/02 7:11am ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$379 per head... Thats makes sense but damn... Nike doesn't advertise one shoe for $30 and expect you to just buy the other. Thanks for squaring that up for me though.

The block is 1968, I'm trying to upgrade without changing the factory pistons out. I don't necessarily want to go on the mild end but I do want the car the be a reliable daily driver when I'm done. Basically, I want to go as fast as I can on a reasonable budget and have fun building the car.

So how much could I expect to have to pay for a set of ported 351 W heads?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts