Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have Crane XR700.
They have not given me any trouble.
I have heard others complain about them , but have no complaints myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What do you mean the Ignitors didn't work? Did they not start the car or did they run erratically or what? They are quite good pieces. I have used both with no trouble. If you have to have a different brand then use the Crane setup. They have 2 I believe. The XR700 and the XR3000. They are said to be an excellent setup. Not as easy as the Pertronix and oh yeah, you will have a box for them too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Pertronix and Pertronix 2 not working really is weird. Both of my other mustangs have it and it works flawlessly. The 65 is being a bitch though. Perhaps it has to do with phasing. I put the pertronix in, no go. Put the points back in, good to go, but cuts out at around 4000rpms. Perhaps you didn't read the links, but the XR-I doesn't require a box as far as i can tell, neither does the optical conversion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the petronix in my 289 ´66 without any problems.
I have the blaster 2 coil with no resistor and it works well. (Iremember to instal the resistor and it did not work).
Next step is a conversion to the big distributor cap of the later V8 engines.

For my 351 I will go with a stock distributor of a later engine and the 4cyl Ford module(stock ignition-box)
hope this helps.
Robbi

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a pertronix on my cleveland, and it works good. I could tell that it did run a little better with the electronic points over the stock. I am going to up-grade my igination soon to a MSD Digital 6 Plus and the coil that they recommend to use with that system.
I don't think you will have any probs with the pertronix.
Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dr. Evil read my post again. I have already tried the pertronix 1 and 2. Neither work and I am looking for another conversion.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry, I must have skiped over that part.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Why not the Duraspark, you don't have to add another box. The Duraspark should be able to fire you Jacobs ignition directly since I would assume it is just looking for a voltage signal to tell it to fire. If the Jacobs will not work with a Duraspark dizzy then get rid of it and get an MSD box.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Check your coil some coils are not compatible with the pertronix.You must have a problem somewhere because even with stock points you should be able to rev well past 4 grand.I have used the pertronix with zero problems.Double check all your connections for proper polarity.If you have a tach or a rev limiter try disconnecting them to make sure their not causing you problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts