Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through my 2000 mile holiday trip, the shock on the drivers side got loose, the screews was gone where the shock was fastened to the suspension arm. It was really bent. So I need 2 front new shocks.

I had KYB gas-a-just on my earlier 69 Mustang, they was fine, but maybe to soft for a heavier Galaxie. Ive read about bilstein also
Summitracing sells monroe shocks for $17.95, it just seems to cheap

Any suggestions/experience about which shocks that are best for a 63 Galaxie?

Will f.ex shocks for 68 Galaxie fit a 63 Galaxie, at summit racing they have KYB shocks, but not for 63, only 68 and up

At the rear Ill probably use Gabriel air shocks

·
Registered
419 Posts
Through my 2000 mile holiday trip, the shock on the drivers side got loose, the screews was gone where the shock was fastened to the suspension arm. It was really bent. So I need 2 front new shocks.

I had KYB gas-a-just on my earlier 69 Mustang, they was fine, but maybe to soft for a heavier Galaxie. Ive read about bilstein also
Summitracing sells monroe shocks for $17.95, it just seems to cheap

Any suggestions/experience about which shocks that are best for a 63 Galaxie?

Will f.ex shocks for 68 Galaxie fit a 63 Galaxie, at summit racing they have KYB shocks, but not for 63, only 68 and up

At the rear Ill probably use Gabriel air shocks
Bilstein makes great shocks, but they are expensive for the Galaxie. I haven't had them on my car yet, but I've read good reviews and heard they are on the stiffer side.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I'm very satisfied with the gas shocks that Greg Donahue sells for the 60-64 Galaxie. He has them specially mfg'ed and are the correct fitment. I have them on my 64' Gal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
841 Posts
IIRC 58-02 full size is the same front shock. Rears may differ, but 65-02 IS the same p/n. Bilstein is the way to go.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
419 Posts
That is a good price for the Bilsteins. They are actually distributed by a company right up the street from me, and I think I pay about that direct from them.

Buying in Sweden is one alternative, Ill anyway buy a lot of parts from USA this autumn, so buying shocks in USA is also ok.

I found one shop in USA which sells it:

1960-64 Ford - Galaxie, Fullsize, Front Bilstein Shock Absorber, Ea. (55-R038)

A bit expensive, but prices like this may be common when buying quality parts like these

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can someone give me advice on how I can tell when I need shocks? The '63 R-code is running on shocks installed, as far as I can tell from the repair history, in 1965. I don't think there are obvious or gross problems in the suspension, but how can I tell if the shocks need some freshening?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts