Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for best way to get 50 years of oil and dust (cake) off engine and tranny. Don't really want to pull them out to do this. Engine has been seeping oil and here in Tucson we get alot of dust. So now I have this really nice rust barrier that is pretty tough to clean off!! Should I use Gunk after warming up motor and let it soak in or use Purple Power? I recently used this Purple Power and it cuts grease but must scrub to get it off. I would like to blast off the crud at the power washer.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
I had time left on a rented a power washer from home depot and used that. It worked pretty good. If you have ramps use them because you have to get the car up high to blast all the places with the wand. Best have a putty knife with you too.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Im redoing my engine bay right now. I have so much crud its unbelievable.

Using a pressure washer is great but it wont get everything off. Pressure washer sprays all that crud all over the car if you dont cover it. A brush and some patience will go a long way.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Oven cleaner does work some. But if the grime is old and really stuck you better grab out the scraper and high pressure HOT water pressure washer.
These small 1500 to 2000 lb. pressure washers won't do the job on tough grease and grime that has been there for years.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Pressure wash.

Allow to dry.

Apply Purple power or diesel fuel.

Pressure wash again.

Get gallon bucket of mineral spirits and a Green Weenie (or a scotch brite pad) and dip it in the spirits and scrub your ass off, then spray down with purple power then pressure wash it off.

Any way you look at it you got a schitt ton of work ahead of you :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts