Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm ready to paint my heads and want to know the best way to prep and paint them? I plan on using Duplicolor corporate blue in a spray can.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
On or off the engine? Are they dirty or greasy or clean or rusty or painted now or... ?

David

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Just make sure they are clean clean clean...Did I mention clean?..Use a degreaser and a power washer with hot water(car wash)..After that use a good high heat rattle can of your favourite colour...

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I used a can of automotive engine spray primer (might have been Duplicolor brand) before I painted my heads/block and I am surprised how well they have held up after several years use.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If the heads are out of the machine shop use some brake parts cleaner to remove any oil film and blow them dry. Do not use carb cleaner. You can buy high heat primer and paint for engine blocks. Keep over spray to min.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I used a can of automotive engine spray primer (might have been Duplicolor brand) before I painted my heads/block and I am surprised how well they have held up after several years use.
yep me too...
duplicolor , any color of choice metalic or solid...
then i put clear engine enamel over that....
gives it a nice durable shine , also makes it easyer to clean/wipe dirt and grease off...;)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I left out some important info....it's just the heads and they're from the machine shop so there not dirty or greasy at all. I've got plenty of brake clean but will buy some clear for that added touch. I'll also use a propane torch to heat the moisture out of them too.

Thanks guys,

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Make sure all the Brake cleaner has dried before using the torch.

I read a thread somewhere that a guy Tig welding a Bike frame had used brake cleaner, and when heated it made a gas. I guess he almost died from it.

Jet

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about that so did wait a bit, no gas or explosions! LOL! I got them painted and now waiting for them to totally dry before I move them and take some pics. I'll post the pics under my other post on Rickracer 289 hi-po heads. There not hi-po heads but almost as good for a mild build cruiser.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts