Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a dual spring setup. I am currently using the stock spring set up on the throttle rod for a 1966 Mustang. Where would this style be used and is it better than the little spring on the rod. The kit is one from Mr Gasket # 19. Seems simple enough ,just don't want to mount it wrong. I would think that it could work by hooking up on the bottom of the carburetor lever and the other bracket toward thr rear of the engine. Any thoughts.

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That's the way most will connect the springs, myself included, but a better way is to connect the spring to the top of the carb arm and run the spring forward. That evens out the pressure that the throttle shaft applies to the base plate. With your throttle rod or cable pulling rearward and the return spring(s) pulling rearward the shaft is always being pulled against the rear of the hole in the baseplate and can cause it to wear quicker.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Before you take time to make an anchor point if running forward from the top of the arm, check for clearance to your air filter assembly. Aftermarket assemblies are usually fine, but some factory ones have poor clearance up there. Ask me how I know about that. ;)

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts