Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a power bench seat that I am selling on a couple of different sites and I just got an e-mail from a scammer who goes by the name JOE ROLAND. Everything was fine until he decided he wanted to buy it at which point he asked for name, full address an phone number, but declared he was a marine engineer out of the country and had to pay by money order only. He would pay me the full amount plus the money for the shipper. I only need cash the check and pay the shipper with the extra money when they arrive to pick it up.

HUGE RED FLAG. Strike that. That is scammer 101 speak and you should run away.

Watch out for idiots like this!

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Speaking of Scammers, I've gotten the same text message twice in the last six months from the guy wanting to purchase a car from me. Marine biologist once and a
Navy Ensign next time.
He will ask for more photo's of the vehicle since he can't come look at it in person.

He is on a ship without his visa card and only has a PayPal account.
Wants to purchase car for either his son or wife in Canada.
Wants you to wire money to via western union to the fake transport company for the car to be transported to him since they won't take payment from his PayPal account.
When the money is received his PayPal account will release the money for the car and the transport fee to your PayPal account.

He had forget he had contacted me a few months earlier. I sent him ALL his emails back from the first contact and told him I had turned over ALL his text messages and emails to the authorities.
Oh, I Google the western union address in Washington State where he said wire the money to and saw a very nice housings complex.

Oh, HE NEVER ASKED FOR MY ADDRESS OR WHERE I LIVED.

I guess there are fools that fall for this stuff.

No need to give you the names he used because he doesn't use the same name.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Common scam on Craigslist. They dont even read the ad. Just put info in ad that the responder has to comply with or you won't respond to the email. Just tell them to put a certain word in email subject line so you know they read the ad.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Common scam on Craigslist. They dont even read the ad. Just put info in ad that the responder has to comply with or you won't respond to the email. Just tell them to put a certain word in email subject line so you know they read the ad.
They actually bothered to pull the info from the ad. This is a bit more sophisticated. Someone is actually bothering to read responses and reply to try to force you back on script.

This scam dates back at least two years. A simple Google search reveals that this same scam using the same info has been running that long.

The best thing you can do is forward the e-mail to:

[email protected]
[email protected]

... and then delete the any e-mails from the sender and have no more contact. Bear in mind, that much effort has been put into running these scams for years and pays way to well or them to bother getting a real job.

I highly suggest getting the full name of someone who is buying or selling from/to you and then do a Google search plus the word "scam", "crook", "cheat", and "jail" before releasing any of your own personal information. The two minutes you spend up front could save you months of heartache and loss.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Same story here, said he would send me a money order for my 95 Camaro plus a shipping fee for his buddy, & could i simply send the balance or overage back to him. I played along & he DID send me a money order, drawn on the Bank of America for the sum of 6800 bucks,
I took it to my bank, told them the whole Scammmer story but, the bank said - This is a certified money order from the Bank of America, You can;t fake these!
So, i deposited it, all the while i'm getting emails from the so called buyer now demanding the "overage" of 1600 bucks he sent me or he was going to the authorities!
2 weeks passed, he emails were threatening me now, almost daily, when my bank called - The RCMP, our international police service wants to see you immediately - Seems this money order was one of the best Forgeries they had ever seen, fooled my bank for sure, & they took all the info i had on this guy, email history.
The last email i got from this buyer, now threatening You better pay up or i'm going to send his "people" to collect .
I gave him the RCMP hot line # & the name of the lead detective, At this point his email callled me a lazy, fat Canadian who owes his country millions in promised support money for all the poor people straving in his country.
Last i heard from him!

·
Registered
977 Posts
When I buy something I prefere to be able to touch it and look at it..I've been burned a couple times from E-bay. I got the product, It wasn't the one in the AD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts