Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i find out if I find out if I have a "big bearing" ford 9"? I am contemplating a explorer **** brake swap. Does anybody have any opinion of this swap?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Go here:
http://www.moserengineering.com/moser_interior/products.asp?CatID=9
go to the bottom right of the page and click on "template guide"

To do the explorer brake swap you need the "Big Ford, New Style" housing ends, also known as Torino ends. If your housing doen't have the right ends you can buy a set from Moser for $70.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, if i do have a small bearing rear, I would have to get the stock ends cut off and the new moser ends welded on, right? Does anyone know what that would cost, ballpark?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
You would need the ends welded on STRAIGHT, which requires a special jig. The new ends would require larger axle bearings and new seals as well. Make sure the proper bearingings are available for the axles in your car. If not, you'll have to buy new axles.

The rear binders only supply around 20% of your braking. So if you're not using the brakes that hard, disks aren't really required. However, another option is getting an aftermarket kit that works with the original 'small' housing ends. I'm sure they are available. Wilwood, Bear, Aeromotive, Aerospace, etc all have a large offering.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Dude, unless you're flush, try Speedway Motors. They've got a weld on rear disc kit which sells for $399.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts