Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There was a guy a while back doing a Mid 70s Gm front frame swap , it seems far easier and you can get far better suspension components !
I have not seen that one. Given the factory performance of the P71, swapping out parts for upgrades should not be a concern. I may play with spring rates & shock valveing but quality parts are readily available for this setup.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Test fit, test fit, test fit. Looking good. Good deal of boxing & reinforcement left to do. If your looking to knock off a couple of 10th's in the quarter in your Galaxie, check to see how much dirt you have stored in your frame. I had a solid 2".

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There are a couple problems with this swap. The Vic crossmember wants to live in a very "busy" section of the Galaxie frame. There is a tubular crossmember where the motor mounts, that has to go. Also the trailing arms on the Vic crossmember want to live up inside the Galaxie frame, right inside where the front body mounts are. None of this is a deal breaker. It just involves more fab work than other similar swaps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Test fit, test fit, test fit. Looking good. Good deal of boxing & reinforcement left to do. If your looking to knock off a couple of 10th's in the quarter in your Galaxie, check to see how much dirt you have stored in your frame. I had a solid 2".
So true. I spent a solid day doing everything I could to clean trapper dirt out of every nook and crevice of my Galaxie but especially in the frame. I had to use a long piece of stiff 8 gauge insulated wire with zip ties attached to the wire every few inches. I then fed the long piece of wire into a hole in the frame and attached the wire to the chuck on my drill and I just let it rip. It broke up all the mud and dirt into small enough grains that I could then blow it out with compressed air. Took a long time but I could not deal with leaving it all in there once I discovered it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Those wheels are beautiful. They will really look great on the Galaxie.

So hub to hub on the Crown Vic is much wider? They are designed around a heavy positive offset wheel correct?

Are you going to try and get the wheel to move inboard a couple inches?

What sort of ride height are you going for in the front?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Crown Vic front end is coming back out. I do not like my wheel selection. I thought I could make somthing work & be happy but that is not the case. Decided to build fresh frame rails & go with a Mustang 2. The mustang was my first choice to begin with, tried the CrownVic to save on cost. I'll leave it as a roller for now until I can afford the components to make it right.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts