Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to know if anyone can help me i need to find motor mounts to put my 390-428 fe motor in to a 1974 ford maverick it will have a c6 auto in it also.

A little about the motor it is a 406ci. ford motor i have a set of 1969 428cj heads i am putting on it also and a tri-power intake with 3-350cfm carbs i will have a mild to mean cam and domed 11:1 comp and alot of other power adding parts but no nos or blower
yet!
can anyone help or has anyone done such a thing before?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
To get an FE into the front of a 74 Maverick you will need to put a straight axle or Coil-over set up under it first. You see just putting a 351 into a 74 you have to chop the shock towers so by the time you get your FE in there you won't have inner fenders at all.
Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
What i did when i put my 460 in mine was i put a flat piece of 1/4 " plate on my engine.Then i set my engine as far back and down as i thought it should be. My oil pan right behind the front sump is 1" above the cross member.Then i put another piece of flat plate down and along side of the frame where the motor mount brackets bolt on the frame,and up against the other plate on the motor and made me a mark or just tacked it w/mig. no problems at all .Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
The FE will fit.
Hooker and Hedman both used to make swap headers for it into a Mav.
You will need to do some fabbing though, for sure.
The headers were just recently discontinued for lack of sales, so you would need to watch eBay or look for some used.
There is a 428 Maverick on eBay for sale right now.
I would recommend shaving the towers though, just to save your sanity.
Even a 351w or 351c needs to have the towers shaved to make reasonable access to the engine. My Cleveland powered Mav was not shaved and plug changes were impossible without lifting the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts