Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone,

I’m in a bind trying to find an electric fan for my Falcon and wanted to see if anyone has suggestions. It has a rebuilt ‘95 Mustang GT roller 302 engine with mild cam, new Griffin 2-row aluminum radiator, and new water pump.

I’m working with very limited space between the radiator and fan pulley (about 1 1/2”) so I’m having to lean towards pushers and even then can only fit a 14” in front. I’m considering either of these units:

#1)

#2)

My other option is two 10”ers as pullers (2,350 cfm each / 4.7 amps each) but as you can see in the picture using two 10” pot lids that leaves a lot of space in-between. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Are either option going to be enough to cool properly?

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think I’ll be going to a junkyard soon to see if I can find any puller fans off of a more modern vehicle then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks to me like the engine is too forward. The Falcon's comfortably fit 260/289's. The had about 2" spacers between the water pump and mechanical fan and still had about an inch between the fan and radiator.

How much clearance do you have at the firewall?

I'd look into motor mount options to move it back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately I believe it has to be this far forward to clear the rack & pinion setup. I inherited this car a few months ago after my dads passing so I’m trying to finish up what he didn’t get a chance to while familiarizing myself with everything on it. Also, this car was already pretty fabbed up even before he got it (e.g. rack & pinion and removal of shock towers).

Anyways, it looks like this is the only way for an oil pan to clear the steering otherwise I could move the engine back which would allow my headers to clear the steering shaft and allow more room for an electric fan. Does that sound right judging by the information and pictures I’ve posted? By the way, it’s a ‘95 Mustang 5.0 roller engine so some parts of it may differ from the SBFs of the 60s a bit, including motor mounts. This engine family is new to me though. Just recently I found out that there’s a shorter version of the water pump which I’m tempted to change to thus allowing me a bit more clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I happen to have a '66 and a '94 Mustang so I'm pretty familiar with differences in the engine compartment. 94 and 95 were identical.

There's definitely some room to go back and clear the firewall. The '95 Mustang 5.0 had a rear sump pan with a small sump in the front to clear the oil pump. The rack sits directly below the small front sump. I'm guessing yours t got converted to a front sump like on the '60's cars and everything else built around that arrangement leading to where you are now.

If shifter, driveshaft, etc are already fitted, moving the engine might be over-involved at this point even if you can come up with an oil pan to work.

If you have clearance on both the front and rear of the radiator, you might be able to work out 2 pushers and 2 pullers to get the job done. That 130 Amp Gen 3 alternator will probably need an upgrade to keep the fans moving.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Derale 16926 is a STUD. It fits 65-66 mustang radiators PERFECTLY. I'm assuming the Falcon is similar? It draws a continuous 20 amps, so make sure your alternator is up to the task, but the shround covers the entire radiator, and it flat out works. You'll want to activate it with a relay. Best of all, it's only 3-1/4" thick. My mustang has a thick aluminum radiator with two 1" cores... and it fits.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Good afternoon everyone,

I’m in a bind trying to find an electric fan for my Falcon and wanted to see if anyone has suggestions. It has a rebuilt ‘95 Mustang GT roller 302 engine with mild cam, new Griffin 2-row aluminum radiator, and new water pump.

I’m working with very limited space between the radiator and fan pulley (about 1 1/2”) so I’m having to lean towards pushers and even then can only fit a 14” in front. I’m considering either of these units:

Thanks,
Michael
I know I am a little late to this thread but this may help someone else. CVF racing has a pulley kit that works with the ultra short Ford Racing water pump part #M-8501-E351S. I have this setup on my Wifes 64 Comet with a 408W and Rod and Customs MII front end. That water pump is 1.5" shorter then a standard drivers side water pump. Here is a link to the CVF pullies
If you need any more room using a 2 row radiator with 1" cooling tubes Like ECP makes may give some more room over the Griffin if it uses 1.25" cooling tubes. As far as fans go Spal makes some low profile fans that will cool your engine. Do not get hung up on CFM ratings. If you use a quality fan you can run a low profile fan that has a lower CFM rating like spal without issue. I use a 1600cfm Spal in my beater Falcon with a 331-435HP, C-4 trans 4100 stall and 4.11 gears with zero heating issues.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts