Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Dwayne im 20 and im new to this thread. I recently bought a 1964 galaxie. The guy i got it from was rebuilding the original motor (352) but he bout .010 over main bearings (why i dont know) and the motor wouldnt turn over. I got the motor in peices, i didnt feel like messin with it so i decided to through a 390 i had kickin around( i rebuilt most of it when i was 13 or 14.) i took it apart and freshened it up a bit. (now heres the problem) while freshing it up i forgot to put the oil pump drive shaft on the oil pump... the motor is 95% together now and i dont wanna have to rip the pan off... again.

So heres what im thinkin. im gonna take out the spring pin that holds the distributor gear on and im gonna through the gear on my bridgeport. im gonna indicate perfect center of the part that seats into the block and im gonna drill a small hole through it, with the drive shaft in it so it goes right through both. then im gonna put another spring pin in that to hold the oil pump shaft too the distributor gear. then im gonna grind the ends of the spring pin flush on both ends.

does anyone see any problems with that i think it will work, its a little rediculous but easier and less time consuming for me to do then takin in apart again and the shaft will always be conected to the distributor.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If the motor is out of the car you can have the pan off in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can through it on my bridgeport and have it done in 4. and i wont have to pull the pan or the pump and i wont have to reassemble it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats a very simple solution. lol ive been so frustrated with myself i guess i had no time to think. all i did was over think. will that be okay though... it dosnt have to be stationary it can just kinda float in there

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
no need to do any of that. put the drive in using a socket and some tape. put in the dist. done
Yea a 1/4" drive socket extension will fit fine over the pump shaft and get it in there.. If you tape it, how do you get the extension back out without the pump shaft coming with it?

Of course B2L you have to remove the locked washer. After that, here are about ten ideas from another forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/7418...ever+have+to+drop+a+dist-+rod+through+the+top- It should be some comfort that you are not the first and won't be the last.

I am pretty sure the next thing you will forget on your install is the little bypass hose between the intake and water pump :(

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
it all sounds fine and dandy...
then for any reason you have to pull dizzy back out again ..
"klink" you hear.. :bicker:..darn drive just fell into oilpan...:cry:

just pull pan ,install drive with its retainer clip....
and you know drive stays put where it should be...;)

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I dropped mine in the pan a couple times and fished it out with a telescoping magnet. Then the last time i tied a piece of thread on it so i didn't have to fish it out again then broke the thread off when it was in there, while holding it in place with the socket which was taped to an extension cause it liked to fall off.

·
Registered
615 Posts
A good friend of mine always tells me this and it might help you in your endeavor. "there is always time enough to do it right, but never time enough to do it again" I say take off the pan and put the keeper on the shaft and install it correctly.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
I say take off the pan and put the keeper on the shaft and install it correctly.
Good luck
Worst advice ever. Well, no, 2nd worst. The worst is, "Take it to a compentent machanic."
Do you really need an internet forum to hear that sh*t??

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Pull the pan and fix it correctly

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
You wonks are killing me!
Tom, I hope you are kidding around. You hang around the FE Forum enough to know that that isn't the right way to do it.

Not to mention, I have NEVER, in almost 30 years of building FEs (as well as every other Ford and Brand X,Y,Z engine) for cars trucks, busses and even wood chippers, seen a properly installed pump drive pull out.

Saving time from the top is a hack, and if the distributor ever has to come out, you'll be fishing another one out, and if its not you, its the poor mechanic that works on the car next.

Dropping the pan is easy work when you know its the right thing to do

Ross

1 - 16 of 16 Posts