Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mounted the transmission yoke in my vise to install new u-joints. Hammered on the yoke ears to relieve some of the preload using a rag to avoid marking up the yoke but it appears that did not work. Am I going to need a new yoke? or can I safely fix this with some emery cloth and lubricant?

Not a good start to the day!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am sure you know they call it a slip yoke because it slips in and out of the transmission during rear end suspension travel. You need to check if the spot you damaged is in the travel area or if it is way inside the seal. You will need to blend out the damage so that it does not tear the seal while installing and it looks like the blend out would be fairly deep beyond the seal in normal conditions.

Suggest start with a half-round file to get the heavy damage out and then buff it up with emery cloth. I would mark the area of the proposed blend out with a sharpie before I started and see if the blend out area would be too large and enter the seal wipe area.

One other consideration is that this is FordMuscleForums.com ... How much muscle are you throwing through this yoke? If you are running heavy torque and horsepower and hooking up hard, I would just scrap it to be safe.

best of luck

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sure you know they call it a slip yoke because it slips in and out of the transmission during rear end suspension travel. You need to check if the spot you damaged is in the travel area or if it is way inside the seal. You will need to blend out the damage so that it does not tear the seal while installing and it looks like the blend out would be fairly deep beyond the seal in normal conditions.

Suggest start with a half-round file to get the heavy damage out and then buff it up with emery cloth. I would mark the area of the proposed blend out with a sharpie before I started and see if the blend out area would be too large and enter the seal wipe area.

One other consideration is that this is FordMuscleForums.com ... How much muscle are you throwing through this yoke? If you are running heavy torque and horsepower and hooking up hard, I would just scrap it to be safe.

best of luck
Many thanks for responding. Given how deep I am into this project, I think I am going to go to the shop that rebuilt my C6 and see if he has a spare laying around I might just pick that up for sanity sake. It has a slightly built 390 that I am hoping will put out 375-400 hp. New 9" with 3.50 gears and posi. Drivetrain is not installed yet.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Real issue is, where the marks are? Do they contact the seal at all or the tailshaft bushing? If neither, clean up the marks and use it. Your U-joints are far weaker then that yoke is.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good news! I stopped by the transmission shop that rebuilt my C6 and he said "if it was his, he would run it". Just as rickyracer1983 said as long as it does not "contact the seal at all or the tailshaft bushing" it will be fine. He recommended taking some emery cloth and smooth it out so there are no burrs and motor on.

Appreciate the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts