Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Read the other day in Popular hotrodding about a 500cui Chevy LS1 or LS7 or what ever.....

How about Windsors?
World Products Manowar 9.5" blocks can be bored to 4.200" and stroked to 4.25" which will give 471cui.

Is it possible to bore the manowar blocks over 4.200" on a street engine?

How about more stroke?
I think it must possible to increase stroke further with Honda rod bearings or any other small bearings.

Does anyone on this forum know if this has been done?
How big is the biggest Windsor stroker you have heard of?

There are a lot of strange ideas floating around in my head.....

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Im no expert on stroker engines, but you have to remember if those are the max bores then your going to only have one build on a street engine. No over bore after that.
Id actually leave like .06 for future rebuilds. Never know in a max performance engine you might scuff a piston or score a cylinder. then your $3000 block is junk
My ulitmate thought for me is a 365 ci all aluminum 8.2 deck height engine. The pinto is a lil nose heavy as it and that might help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well economics are not my area........

But,
If those blocks can take 4.200" on a race engine it must be able to take more on a street engine.

What do you think about rods with Honda bearings and smaller big end, will it make strokes over 4.250" possible or are the 9.5" deck height the limiting factor?

The 500 cui LS1 had deckplates and 10.2" deck height.
4.200" bore and 4.5" stroke.

I need to get rid of all these creatures in my head, they give me all these bad ideas....

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
E mail World Products/Dart. I've never heard of any Windsor style block hitting 500ci.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The longer you make the stroke the harder it will be on reciprocating parts... why not just go with the spec'd max bore and stroke and build it to hit 7000rpm? That would essentially be the same as stroking it even further with a lower rev limit, and you will make the same HP and won't have to worry about itty bitty Honda rods breaking.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The 9.5" deck of a Windsor would probably limit the Ford to less than the Chebby's 500" displacement and the 4.5" stroke seems impossible.
If you have a 1.2" comp ht piston, (pin in rings) a 6.1" rod and a 4.2" stroke that adds up to (using half the stroke) to a 9.4" deck height. So in theory you could do a 4.4" stroke and the figures add up. Do you want a rod that short? Piston? Plus the crank counterweights would have to be cut way down to clear the piston bottoms then filled with Mallory metal to because of that short rod long stroke.
Yes, theoretically you probably can squeeze in a longer stroke than a 4.2, but without more deck height I'd guess that the 471 is pretty close to maxed out.
I used 6.125" rods, a 4.140" stroke and a short piston in the 422 but wouldn't do it that way today.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I have taken my pills and the voices has dissapered........

The 500cui LS1 was not within the block since it had deck plates.

I guess there are better ways to spend money than building the biggest Windsor stroker in the Universe........

Even a small 289 cui with 12 psi of turbo pressure makes more torq than a 500 cui LS1!

Have great day!

They do come back at night..........the voices.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
9.48" deck W block, 4.25 stroke, 347 pistons and 6.25" rods with a 4.060" bore that equals 440", theoretically speaking of course. Whether or not the crank & rods actually fit in the block without hitting the cam is another story. Then clearance at the oil pump....ahh yes, a die grinder would be your best friend. That and a couple hundred $$$ worth of mallory slugs.

But, it would be one monster windsor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.