Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I wanted to know what is the biggest radiator I can install in a 68 mustang, I thought using one of the 31X19 radiator from summit for 200$ but I'm not sure it will fit...
btw, my battery is in the trunk...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
You can cut the core support and install a late model Mustang radiator. I've seen that done quite a bit. You'll just need to fab some mounts.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I'd consider giving champion cooling a call. They make a solid product and will be able to get you the right radiator for your application.

I've been so happy with the one in my 66 (460 takes up the whole engine compartment, they tend to run a little warm) that I bought one for my '62 as the one in there now is just ancient and would need a re-core anyhow.

I called them Friday to see what they could set me up with, they read some sizes off and I picked the one that would work for me and my needs. It was in the mail that same day.

My neighbor also has one in his '55 chebby and was having cooling issues with his 4 core. He saw mine and picked one up for himself. Like me he's had a great experience with Champion and his car is running cooler now.

I've read that the summit radiators are pretty decent. I want to say that they're not using any epoxy (can't say that for griffon) and are fully tig welded.

Price wise Champion is a little more expensive then summit aluminum radiators. I've bought both of mine for less then $300 each (shipped), both have tranny coolers as well which adds up the price a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about size as I would about effeciency. I'm running an aluminum cross flow in my Falcon and it works fantastic. I bought mine from Jeg's for around $150 but Summit sell the same thing.

They are generic 1" tube, two row. Measure your opening and size one to fit with the inlet/outlet where you need it. Mine happened to be a "GM" model but only because where my tubes needed to be.

With a regular engine driven fan and shroud it cools my 430+ HP small block just fine. My car runs between 170-175 degrees on a 100 degree day moving or not and on the hottest day parked it only got up to 180. Who needs those $500 custom made radiators? Not me.

Also, I'm running an auto trans and after having it rebuilt/modified the shop advised me to bypass the internal cooler altogether and just run it through my external B&M cooler so I could have got away with a standard trans radiator saving a few more dollars. It works fine this way.

John

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
You can run the super heavy duty big block radiator (from the 390 cars) without modification. It is a 24" with 4 cores. All you need are the mounting brackets. You can get everything from Mustangs Unlimted or CJ Pony Parts, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts