Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just picked up a 68 Country Sedan and I am going to run a set of Torq Thrust D wheels and was wondering if a 15x10 will fit the rear and what tire to put on it if they do? I am pertty sure the 15x8.5 will fit as I had that on my 75 Torino I recently traded off. If I can do a 15x10 rear and a 15x8 front I think it would be exactly what I am looking for. I prefer a very deep rim and do like alot of tire especially on a big wagon.

Thanks,
Jesse

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a hard time with this topic too, and most folks claim the limits to be much smaller than you can actually squeeze in. I managed to test fit a 31x12.375" (actual measurements) on 15x10 (bead width) rims on my '63. A 1/4"-3/8" spacer would have been needed with the 5.5 BS rims to not hit the springs.

I ended up going with 30x12" tires on 15x8 (bead width) rims with a 3.75" BS. That pushed the tires out near the openings, which I like, but required a little bit of the lip trimmed off where it rolls underneath toward the tires. Good deep rim look even though they are only 8's. I also had to "massage" some of the wheelwell outward up inside because it turns in quickly, and the car is lowered. A 4" BS would have been perfect.

I know our cars are different, but hopefully it helps a little. The big cars really do gobble up tires visually. The tires looked gigantic sitting in the garage on the wheels, but look appropriate on the car...

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input and I was just rolling around under the car to see and I think I am just gonna play it safe with the combo I had on my 75 Torino. The 15x8.5 with a 275/60/15 filled the wells very nicely. I may drop the wagon an inch or 2 anyway. Now its a matter what size for the front. I think a 15x7 with a 235/60/15 or a 245/60/15 will be nice to fill the front.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure if a 65 & 68 wheel wells are similar, bit I have trial fitted 15x10 wheels (5" bs) with 265/50 tyres. One side fits, other is a bit tight. I will have to roll the arches before I fit my new 15x10 wheels, with 265 or 275s.
Fronts im going with 15x8 (4.25 bs), probably with 235 tyres.
Rear is standard springs, fronts have 1 coil removed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a hard time with this topic too, and most folks claim the limits to be much smaller than you can actually squeeze in. I managed to test fit a 31x12.375" (actual measurements) on 15x10 (bead width) rims on my '63. A 1/4"-3/8" spacer would have been needed with the 5.5 BS rims to not hit the springs.

I ended up going with 30x12" tires on 15x8 (bead width) rims with a 3.75" BS. That pushed the tires out near the openings, which I like, but required a little bit of the lip trimmed off where it rolls underneath toward the tires. Good deep rim look even though they are only 8's. I also had to "massage" some of the wheelwell outward up inside because it turns in quickly, and the car is lowered. A 4" BS would have been perfect.

I know our cars are different, but hopefully it helps a little. The big cars really do gobble up tires visually. The tires looked gigantic sitting in the garage on the wheels, but look appropriate on the car...

What brand of tire did you go with in the rear??? and what are your front specs and brands as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts