Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have some minor paint coming off of drivers side door and was wondering if I bought some vinyl black paint if that would match up also was wondering about the chrome tape that has peeled off of the striping??? Is that all it is or what??? Ive looked at dearborne classics and they have paint but haven't seen anything that would fix the panel trim that has had the chrome peeled off??? Suggestions and directions welcomed.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Tricky looking job. I have used the SEM black also, on a vinyl dashboard years ago and it is still looking good. Maybe FE will comment, he is a real restorer.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I painted a junkyard padded dash black (from faded red) in the early 80's. Still looks great.

Painted beige/tan 500XL rear side panels black in the late 80's, and again last spring (didn't have to repaint them, but I had the whole interior apart, so why not?). Looks like factory.

Bottom line, go to a major autoparts place and pick up a name brand spray.

You should be just fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies... I was just wondering if the vinyl paint is what was needed to match up the paint that's there... It has the vinyl lines in the OEM paint and wanted match. Thanks for the suggestions so far...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for the replies... I was just wondering if the vinyl paint is what was needed to match up the paint that's there... It has the vinyl lines in the OEM paint and wanted match. Thanks for the suggestions so far...
No sorry you canot get that the lines like that out of a spray can....

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Therer was a thread around here discussing spray chrome. Which ones worked, etc. Might be worth a look

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was thinking if I spray painted and while wet maybe press some vinyl to get the effect oc the lines in paint???? What's ya'lls thoughts??? Would it just pull the paint off with it on removal??? Maybe do 2 or 3 coats and only press vinyl on last coat??? Also wondering about the chrome striping... If I masked off everything around and then painted instead of taped with chrome tape would this be a better look?? I dunno... Just thinking... Just want to get interior back up to oem or better. Thanks for your get backs... Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
When I said to use SEM I thought we were painting vinyl, No I see you are trying to make paint look like vinyl, that is quite a different deal.

Dont think you will have any success pressing vinyl into wet paint. There is a process in painting using saran wrap in that way that might yield that result.

Another option, It wont be a exact texture but play with moving the can farther away from the surface than recomended. The farther out the more texture. I have done this using a spray truck bed liner then painted over it with decent results. It will take some experimenting but you can get good results.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same problem with the chromed plastic trim on the door panels. I'm considering taping off the vinyl and painting the trim a chrome color, too. It obviously would be silver, not chrome, but would be an improvement until I can do something more permanent.

You mentioned the Dearborn Classics paints--I'm considering using them to touch up some things in my interior (blue). Has anyone had any experience with them?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have no experience doing the interior of my 63 Galaxie yet, but years ago I did the interior of a 65 mustang. I striped the paint off the interior doors, and I thought for sure the metal itself was textured that way. Looking at your pictures it doesn't appear the Galaxie is the same. I would just sand smooth and repaint it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was thinking if I spray painted and while wet maybe press some vinyl to get the effect oc the lines in paint???? What's ya'lls thoughts??? Would it just pull the paint off with it on removal??? Maybe do 2 or 3 coats and only press vinyl on last coat???
This is what I would try, depending on how thick paint is 3-4 coats. let last coat tack up till it drags when you run finger across. take a piece of vinyl, lay across area and run a hard roller across it. try it on scrap first.

also may be able to take a hard roller and attach vinyl to it then roll it?

I would think this would give you best effect. as Scott said saran wrap might work, but that is mostly used for a marbleized effect.

Lou

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Arabian... I like the idea of using a roller with vinyl on it... Probably will try when I get some warmer weather. Do you have any suggestions on the rubberized plastic trim that all the chrome taping has been flaking off of??? Chrome paint any good??? Never tried... Don't know if it will adhere very well... Thanks for yalls input.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
This is what I would try, depending on how thick paint is 3-4 coats. let last coat tack up till it drags when you run finger across. take a piece of vinyl, lay across area and run a hard roller across it. try it on scrap first.

also may be able to take a hard roller and attach vinyl to it then roll it?

I would think this would give you best effect. as Scott said saran wrap might work, but that is mostly used for a marbleized effect.

Lou

Seems like pressing a piece of vinyl would give you the reverse image of what you want. You are looking for lines that go down but you would get lines that rise up.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It is hard to tell from the pictures because of the rust where the paint has peeled off, but are you sure that the lines aren't part of the metal? It could be that the rust is covering the lines. Maybe you could try taking one off and sandblasting a rust section to see. On my 62 XL those pieces have the lines built into the metal. I sandblasted them and painted them and they turned out great. The texture on my console looked exactly the same as on the door pieces, but it was some kind of plastic covering over the metal with the texture in the plastic covering instead of in the metal. I found out when I started to sandlblast the console and it started peeling off.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I found out when I started to sandlblast the console and it started peeling off.

LOL! That had to be irritating!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been gone for work out of town for about a week and a half... I took a tooth brush and some soapy water and low and behold the lines are in the metal!!! I feel like a dumb ass for not checkIng that before I started his thread... Any ways thanks for the help along the way and I'll be posting pics of the repair job... Gonna be my first go at paint... Any and all help is welcomed. Maybe I'll start a new thread once I get close to starting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts