Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if foul language is allowed here but I could fill a page with it. My 64 hardtop's passenger door is missing the lower hinge spring. My wifes 63 convert is msising the spring on the driver side. I got a spring compressor tool form one of the Falcon vendors and it turned out to be for GM products. No way it will work for installing the springs without removing the doors. Any help, suggestions, advice etc...will be appreciated. As always, Thanks for the replys to all my posts and questions. Hopefully Some of yall can help with this issue. THanks in advance and please reply soon. BAMABROWN.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here's what worked for me: I compressed the spring in my vise, then used several small zip ties top to bottom around the perimeter. Then I installed it and cut the zip ties.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BrewBoy is spot on. After I posted my rant, I saw a vid on it from someone doing the repair as he mentioned. I still cussed alot but it works. Thanks BrewBoy. I was going to share it also but waited to late to post it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know if foul language is allowed here but I could fill a page with it. My 64 hardtop's passenger door is missing the lower hinge spring. My wifes 63 convert is msising the spring on the driver side. I got a spring compressor tool form one of the Falcon vendors and it turned out to be for GM products. No way it will work for installing the springs without removing the doors. Any help, suggestions, advice etc...will be appreciated. As always, Thanks for the replys to all my posts and questions. Hopefully Some of yall can help with this issue. THanks in advance and please reply soon. BAMABROWN.
Take the doors off and rebuild the entire hinge. Done forever. More work but you can't go wrong. Find a good machine shop to punch out and press in the pins. I got the same tool. Send it back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks eboyII3, It's a done deal now. Used a bench vice to compress the springs and zip ties to hold them compressed. It was still a bitch. Your way would have been the best. But stay in touch anyway. Just came in from workin on the wifes 63 Convert. Time flies when your havin fun! Put in new window fuzzies and rear quarter window front edge seals. Long night but relaxin' for me and my bud light. Stay safe and protected. BamaBrown

1 - 5 of 5 Posts