Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I had that Weiand 8124 intake sand blasted not knowing that's what you don't do, I heard bead blasting is the best for these things. So now my intake is clean but very dull looking, can I bead blast it now and get that new look back or is this intake history?

If I can't make this thing look better then I might as well paint it orange.....what other things might I try besides polishing it?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
it's history. You now need to sand it and polish it before you can get that shine back.

Sand is HUGE and sharp.

Glass Bead is small and not so sharp.

NEITHER will leave a shiny surface, ONLY a clean one.

Easier to polish a glass bead surface than sand blasted.

Easier to polish a Media blasted surface than either of the two above.

It's not roont jus yet, you jus gawt yerself a LOT o polishin ta do!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought FE so I've already contacted a place to buff it back into shape along with some other parts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've heard that sand blasting an aluminum intake is a very bad thing to do if you do the runners or the underside. It embeds tiny particles in the aluminum that can work their way loose later and then find their way into the oil and the cylinders.

For what it's worth...

Thanks,
Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Check local machine shops for one that has shot blasting or shot peening. The larger shot will even the surface and either be OK for you like that, or make it much easier to prep for buffing. Tell them what you're after so they can do teh best job for you. There are also some paints that look very much like fresh-cast, such as Krylon Stainless Steel, but you have to top-coat with a fuel-proof satin clear engine enamel. Or, you can have it powder coated in dull or chrome-ish shiny metallic.

David

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I have used aluminum coil cleaners in strong doses to brighten aluminum but it really will not shine. I have also used clear coats and found a clear spray epoxy worked the best for staying clear.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
A number of years ago I painted a new aluminum manifold with Eastwood's Aluma Blast and then clear coated it with satin high temp. It still looks brand new and gas, oil and coolant do not stain it like they would bare aluminum. You can't tell it isn't the original finish. The paint and clear coat should fill in the sand blasting pores enough to restore the original finish.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't feel bad ... I did the same thing to a '62 corvette 340HP intake back years ago. Blasted it & it dulled right up.

What I did was utilize a vibrating cleaner that had metal media in it. It looked like rice & flying saucers. Made it look new & it stayed that way for 20+ years.

If you can find someone that has a vibration cleaner that'll bring it right back to life & not look to over polished.

6T4 Bolt

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the intake over to a friends house and he said he wanted to try and blast it back to looking nice with some other media, so I'll let him try and if that doesn't work then I'll try the vibration cleaner thing and if need be I'll do what rider did.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
After blasting like that i've used VHT aluminium Engine paint comes up very nice and never dulls :), assuming you guys have VHT brand over there ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts