Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well

I got the 289 tore down today, and I'm almost certain it's not a standard block. The pistons are all marked 30. Now, I still haven't measured the bores myself, but there's other indications the guy was full of it. Supposedly the cylinders were 'lightly honed' and the motor was reringed and new bearings installed, then he used the motor for 3 months, wrecked his truck, and parked the motor for a year. Well the honing marks are mostly wore away on the thrust side of the bores, and the tops (piston side) of all the rod bearings are showing copper. I haven't pulled the crank to check those bearings, but so far what I've found doesn't lead me to be very optimistic (even though the rod throws of the crank itself appear to be in great shape). .030 over 5 bolt bellhousing blocks probably aren't worth very much to anyone but a restorer heh =p. If it were standard it would at least be of use to someone I'd think, even if it isn't me /sigh.

Anyhow, if anyone knows a restorer who can use a date coded 64 block, including internals, date coded heads, and a date coded 4bbl intake, let me know huh?

Thanks
Cris

Thanks

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
They take .040 without any problems, especially if your just doing a stock rebuild.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have .030 over pistons already...and it's a 5 bolt bellhousing...so I'd have a hell of a time swapping in the tremec, I believe. Altogether a pain in the rear =p. That's why I'm looking for someone restoring an early ford to a concours level. 1964 complete motors can't be all THAT common, I'd think?

Cris

·
Registered
991 Posts
I just got a new member that had several of them

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yuck, looks like I might be stuck with it then. Ahh well, it was 150$, and I'm making the guy give me back 75$ of it. It's a boat anchor for me =/. If it were standard, I might have even used it still...toploaders don't have overdrive, but they're nothing to sneeze at. 5500-6500rpm launches aren't so scary with a toploader and a good 9" lol. Who knows, maybe the bores will measure out within spec or something? /sigh...it's been a crappy and a half week =/.

Cris

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I bet you can unload it for your final cost. Maybe somebody just wanting an engine that will "do" until he can get the cash for a build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts